- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
1.—(1) This Order may be cited as the Borough of Barrow-in-Furness (Electoral Changes) Order 2008.
(2) This Order, with the exception of article 5, comes into force—
(a)for the purpose of proceedings preliminary or relating to any election to be held on the ordinary day of election of councillors in 2008, on the day after that on which it is made;
(b)for all other purposes, on the ordinary day of election of councillors in 2008.
(3) Article 5 comes into force—
(a)for the purpose of proceedings preliminary or relating to the election of parish councillors for the parish of Dalton Town with Newton to be held on the ordinary day of election of councillors on 15th October 2010;
(b)for all other purposes, on the ordinary day of election of councillors in 2011.
2. In this Order—
“borough” means the borough of Barrow-in-Furness;
“existing”, in relation to a ward, means the ward as it exists on the date this Order is made;
“map” means the map marked “Map referred to in the Borough of Barrow-in-Furness (Electoral Changes) Order 2008”, of which prints are available for inspection at the principal office of the Electoral Commission: and any reference to a numbered sheet is a reference to the sheet of the map which bears that number;
“ordinary day of election of councillors” has the meaning given by section 37 of the Representation of the People Act 1983(1); and
“registration officer” means an officer appointed for the purpose of, and in accordance with, section 8(2) of the Representation of the People Act 1983.
3.—(1) The existing wards of the borough(3) shall be abolished.
(2) The borough shall be divided into thirteen wards which shall be named as set out in column (1) of Schedule 1.
(3) Each ward shall comprise the area designated on the map by reference to the name of the ward and demarcated by red lines.
(4) The number of councillors to be elected for each ward shall be the number specified in respect of the ward in column 2 of Schedule 1.
(5) Where a boundary is shown on the map as running along a road, railway line, footway, watercourse or similar geographical feature, it shall be treated as running along the centre line of the feature.
4.—(1) Elections of all councillors for all wards of the borough shall be held simultaneously on the ordinary day of election of councillors in 2008(4).
(2) The councillors holding office for any ward of the borough immediately before the fourth day after the ordinary day of election of councillors in 2008 shall retire on that date and the newly elected councillors shall come into office on that date.
(3) The order of retirement of councillors shall be as set out in Schedule 2.
(4) Where the number of councillors elected in 2008 for any ward of the district is two or more—
(a)the first to retire shall, subject to paragraphs (5) and (6), be the councillor elected by the smallest number of votes; and
(b)the second to retire shall, subject to those paragraphs, be the councillor elected by the next smallest number of votes.
(5) In the case of an equality of votes between any persons elected which makes it uncertain which of them is to retire in any year, the person to retire in that year shall be determined by lot.
(6) If an election of councillors for any ward is not contested, the person to retire in each year shall be determined by lot.
(7) Where under this article any question is to be determined by lot, the lot shall be drawn at the next practicable meeting of the council after the question has arisen and the drawing shall be conducted under the direction of the person presiding at the meeting.
5.—(1) The existing wards of the parish of Dalton Town with Newton(5) shall be abolished.
(2) The parish shall be divided into three wards which shall be named Anty Cross and Newton, Beckside and Dowdales.
(3) Each ward shall comprise the area designated on sheet 3 and by reference to the name of the ward and demarcated by orange lines.
(4) The number of councillors to be elected for Anty Cross and Newton shall be four, for Beckside shall be three and for Dowdales shall be three.
6. Barrow-in-Furness Borough Council shall make a print of the map available for inspection at its offices by any member of the public at any reasonable time.
7. The registration officer for the borough shall make such rearrangement of, or adaptation of, the register of local government electors as may be necessary for the purposes of, and in consequence of, this Order.
8. The Borough of Barrow-in-Furness (Electoral Changes) Order 1998 with the exception of articles 3(1) and 3(9) is revoked.
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: