The application notice
20. (1) If rule 19 (application for leave) does not apply, an applicant must start proceedings before the Tribunal by sending or delivering an application notice to the Tribunal so that it is received—
(a)if a time for providing the application notice is specified in the Schedule to these Rules (time limits for providing application notices and responses), within that time; or
(b)otherwise, within 28 days after notice of the act or decision to which the proceedings relate was sent to the applicant.
(2) The application notice must be signed by the applicant and must include—
(a)the name and address of the applicant;
(b)the name and address of the applicant’s representative (if any);
(c)an address where documents for the applicant may be sent or delivered;
(d)the name and address of any respondent;
(e)details of the decision or act, or failure to decide or act, to which the proceedings relate;
(f)the result the applicant is seeking;
(g)the grounds on which the applicant relies; and
(h)any further information or documents required by an applicable practice direction.
(3) The applicant must send with the application notice a copy of any written record of any decision under challenge, and any statement of reasons for that decision that the applicant has or can reasonably obtain.
(4) If the applicant provides the application notice to the Tribunal later than the time required by paragraph (1) or by any extension of time under rule 5(3)(a) (power to extend time)—
(a)the application notice must include a request for an extension of time and the reason why the application notice was not provided in time; and
(b)unless the Tribunal extends time for the application notice under rule 5(3)(a) (power to extend time) the Tribunal must not admit the application notice.
(5) In proceedings under Suspension Regulations, the applicant must send or deliver a copy of the application notice and any accompanying documents to the respondent at the same time as it provides the application notice to the Tribunal.
(6) In proceedings other than proceedings under paragraph (5), when the Tribunal receives the application notice it must send a copy of the application notice and any accompanying documents to each other party.