- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
55. (1) A penalty notice issued under regulation 53 (disputes) or 54 (misuse of procedures) shall specify—
(a)the amount of the penalty which is payable;
(b)the date before which the penalty must be paid; and
(c)the failure and period to which the penalty relates.
(2) No penalty set by the Appeal Tribunal under this regulation may exceed £75,000.
(3) When setting the amount of the penalty, the Appeal Tribunal shall take into account—
(a)the gravity of the failure;
(b)the period of time over which the failure occurred;
(c)the reason for the failure;
(d)the number of employees affected by the failure; and
(e)the number of employees employed by the undertaking.
(4) The date specified under paragraph (1)(b) above must not be earlier than the end of the period within which an appeal against a decision or order made by the CAC under regulation 53 or 54 may be made.
(5) If the specified date in a penalty notice has passed and—
(a)the period during which an appeal may be made has expired without an appeal having been made; or
(b)such an appeal has been made and determined,
the Secretary of State may recover from the transferee company or merging company, as a civil debt due to him, any amount payable under the penalty notice which remains outstanding.
(6) The making of an appeal suspends the effect of the penalty notice.
(7) Any sums received by the Secretary of State under regulation 53, 54 or this regulation shall be paid into the Consolidated Fund.
Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Statutory Instrument and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Statutory Instrument accessible to readers who are not legally qualified accompany any Statutory Instrument or Draft Statutory Instrument laid before Parliament from June 2004 onwards.
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: