- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
1.—(1) No calf may be confined in an individual stall or pen after the age of eight weeks unless a veterinary surgeon certifies that its health or behaviour requires it to be isolated in order to receive treatment.
(2) The width of any individual stall or pen for a calf must be at least equal to the height of the calf at the withers, measured in the standing position, and the length must be at least equal to the body length of the calf, measured from the tip of the nose to the caudal edge of the tuber ishii (pin bones), multiplied by 1.1.
(3) Individual stalls or pens for calves (except for those isolating sick animals) must have perforated walls which allow calves to have direct visual and tactile contact.
(4) For calves kept in groups, the unobstructed space allowance available to each calf must be—
(a)at least 1.5 m² for each calf with a live weight of less than 150 kg;
(b)at least 2 m² for each calf with a live weight of 150 kg or more but less than 200 kg; and
(c)at least 3 m² for each calf with a live weight of 200 kg or more.
(5) Each calf must be able to stand up, lie down, turn around, rest and groom itself without hindrance.
(6) Each calf that is kept on a holding on which two or more calves are kept, must be able to see at least one other calf.
(7) Sub-paragraph (6) does not apply to any calf that is kept in isolation on a holding on veterinary advice or in accordance with sub-paragraph (1).
(8) For the purpose of calculating the number of calves kept on a holding in order to determine whether sub-paragraph (6) applies, no account may be taken of any calf that is being kept in isolation on veterinary advice or in accordance with sub-paragraph (1).
Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Statutory Instrument and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Statutory Instrument accessible to readers who are not legally qualified and accompany any Statutory Instrument or Draft Statutory Instrument laid before Parliament from June 2004 onwards.
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: