National Security Council
57.—(1) There shall be in and for the Virgin Islands a National Security Council which shall consist of—
(a)the Governor, as Chairman;
(c)one other Minister appointed in writing by the Governor, acting in accordance with the advice of the Premier;
(d)the Attorney General, ex officio; and
(e)the Commissioner of Police, ex officio.
(2) A Minister appointed under subsection (1)(c) shall vacate his or her seat on the National Security Council if—
(a)his or her office becomes vacant under section 53; or
(b)the Governor so directs in writing, acting in accordance with the advice of the Premier.
(3) The National Security Council shall advise the Governor on matters relating to internal security and the Governor shall be obliged to act in accordance with the advice of the Council, unless he or she considers that giving effect to the advice would adversely affect Her Majesty’s interest (whether in respect of the United Kingdom or the Virgin Islands); and where the Governor has acted otherwise than in accordance with the advice of the Council, he or she shall report to the Council at its next meeting.
(4) The Commissioner of Police shall—
(a)provide regular briefings to the National Security Council on matters of internal security, including the Police Force;
(b)have responsibility for the day to day operation of the Police Force and shall report regularly on such operation to the Governor; and
(c)inform the Premier of any significant security developments in the Virgin Islands, including the occurrence of any significant criminal activity.
(5) The National Security Council may invite any person or summon any public officer to attend and participate in, or provide briefings to, the Council on the areas of their work bearing on internal security.
(6) The Governor, acting in his or her discretion, may summon a meeting of the National Security Council whenever he or she considers it desirable to do so, and the Governor shall summon such a meeting whenever the Premier so requests.
(7) Subject to this section, the National Security Council may regulate its own procedure.
(8) The Cabinet Secretary shall be the Secretary to the National Security Council.