22. (1) Subject to regulations 61 and 62 and Schedule A1(1) (calculation of weekly amounts, rent free periods and treatment of claims for housing benefit by refugees), the applicable amount of a claimant shall be the aggregate of such of the following amounts as apply in his case—
(a)an amount in respect of his personal allowance, determined in accordance with paragraph 1 of Schedule 3;
(b)an amount in respect of any child or young person who is a member of his family, determined in accordance with paragraph 2 of that Schedule;
(c)if he is a member of a family of which at least one member is a child or young person, an amount determined in accordance with paragraph 3(1) of Part 2 of that Schedule (family premium);
(d)if he is a member of a family of which one member is a child under the age of one year, an additional amount determined in accordance with paragraph 3(2) of Part 2 of that Schedule;
(e)the amount of any premiums which may be applicable to him, determined in accordance with Parts 3 and 4 of that Schedule (premiums).
(2) Paragraph (3) applies in the case of—
(a)a claimant who; or
(b)a claimant who has a partner one or both of whom; or
(c)a claimant who is a member of a polygamous marriage one or more of whose members,
is or are a patient, and has or have been a patient for a period exceeding 52 weeks or, in exceptional circumstances, is unlikely to substantially exceed 52 weeks (“long-term patient”).
(3) In the case of a claimant to whom this paragraph applies and who—
(a)has no partner and is not a lone parent, the applicable amount shall be equal to 20 per cent. of the weekly rate of the basic pension for the time being specified in section 44(4) of the Act (“the standard reduction”);
(b)is a lone parent, the applicable amount shall be an amount equal to the standard deduction, increased by such of the amounts specified in sub-paragraphs (b) to (e) of paragraph (1) as apply in his case;
(c)has a partner and either the claimant or his partner is a long-term patient, the applicable amount determined in accordance with paragraph (1) shall be reduced by an amount equal to the standard reduction;
(d)has a partner and both the claimant and his partner are long-term patients, the applicable amount determined in accordance with paragraph (1) shall be reduced by an amount equal to twice the sum of the standard reduction;
(e)is a member of a polygamous marriage and one or more members of the marriage are long term patients, the applicable amount determined in accordance with paragraph (1) shall be reduced by an amount equal to the standard reduction multiplied by the number of members who are long-term patients.
(4) Any calculation made for the purposes of paragraphs (2) and (3) shall be rounded to the nearest 5 pence, 2.5 pence being rounded to the next 5 pence above.
(5) In this regulation and Schedule 3 (applicable amounts), “patient” means a person (other than a person who is serving a sentence of imprisonment or detention in a youth custody institution) who is regarded as receiving free in-patient treatment within the meaning of the Social Security (Hospital In-Patients) Regulations 1975(2).
(6) In Schedule 3, “additional spouse” means a spouse of either party to the marriage who is additional to the other party to the marriage.
(7) For the purposes of calculating the period of 52 weeks referred to in paragraph (2), where a person has been maintained free of charge while undergoing medical or other treatment as an in-patient in a hospital or similar institution within the meaning of that paragraph for two or more distinct periods separated by one or more intervals each not exceeding 28 days, he shall be treated as having been so maintained for a period equal in duration to the total of those distinct periods.
See the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit (Consequential Provisions) Regulations 2006 (S.I. 2006/217), regulation 7 and Schedule 4, paragraph 2 for regulation 10A and Schedule A1 (claims by refugees).