- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). UK Statutory Instruments are not carried in their revised form on this site.
5.—(1) Paragraph (2) applies where, before section 1 of the Act comes into force—
(a)a person (“P”) expressed a request in accordance with section 4(1) of the Anatomy Act 1984(1), or article 6(1) of the Anatomy (Northern Ireland) Order 1992(2) (“the Northern Ireland Order”), that his body be used for anatomical examination, and
(b)P dies following the coming into force of section 1 of the Act.
(2) Subject to paragraph (3), during the relevant period, a request made in accordance with section 4(1) of the Anatomy Act 1984, or article 6(1) of the Northern Ireland Order, shall be treated for the purposes of section 1 of the Act as appropriate consent in relation to—
(a)the storage of P’s body, or separated parts of his body, for use for the purpose of anatomical examination,
(b)the use of his body, or separated parts of his body, for that purpose.
(3) A request made in accordance with section 4(1) of the Anatomy Act 1984 or article 6(1) of the Northern Ireland Order, shall not be treated for the purposes of section 1 of the Act as appropriate consent where the person doing the section 1 activity has reason to believe that P has withdrawn his consent.
(4) Where for the purpose of section 1 of the Act there would not be appropriate consent in relation to an activity but for the request made under the Anatomy Act 1984 or the Northern Ireland Order being treated for those purposes as appropriate consent in relation to the activity, paragraphs (1) to (3) of section 1 do not authorise the doing of that activity otherwise than in accordance with that request.
(5) In this article and article 6, “the relevant period”, in relation to a person, means whichever is the shorter of—
(a)the period of three years beginning with the date of the person’s death, and
(b)the period beginning with that date and ending when the anatomical examination of the person’s body is concluded.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: