Place of slaughter
24.—(1) This article applies where the Secretary of State serves notice of her intention to cause the slaughter of animals under paragraph 2A or 3 of Schedule 3 to the Act.
(2) Subject to paragraph (3), where the animals to be slaughtered are on premises slaughter shall take place there without delay.
(3) Paragraph (2) shall not apply where—
(a)in the opinion of the Secretary of State slaughter on those premises would be an unsatisfactory method of preventing the spread of disease; or
(b)the premises are a slaughterhouse or border inspection post.
(4) In the cases referred to in paragraph (3), the Secretary of State may direct that slaughter be carried out at another place she considers satisfactory for the purpose of preventing the spread of disease.
(5) Where the animals to be slaughtered are in transit, they shall be transported to another place at the direction of the Secretary of State as soon as is reasonably practicable.
(6) In directing transport to another place under this article the Secretary of State shall grant a licence under paragraphs 4(6), 7(d) and 10(b) of Schedule 1 authorising movement of the animals, persons and vehicles necessary for that action.