- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
26. (1) Subject to paragraphs (2) and (3), the Agency may at any time revoke or suspend —
(a)the appointment of an official veterinarian;
(b)the designation of an approved veterinarian; or
(c)the appointment of an official auxiliary,
if it appears to the Agency that the person in question is unfit to perform any of the functions of that post under the Hygiene Regulations.
(2) Where the Agency revokes or suspends a designation or appointment under paragraph (1), the Agency shall, as soon as practicable, give to the person whose designation or appointment has been revoked or suspended a notice in writing of the reasons for the revocation or suspension and shall afford him an opportunity of —
(a)making representations in writing to the Agency with regard to the revocation or suspension; or
(b)being heard by a person nominated by the Agency for the purpose pursuant to sub–paragraph (a) of paragraph (5).
(3) A notice given under paragraph (2) shall inform the person to whom it is given —
(a)of his right to make representations in writing;
(b)of the manner in which and the time (not being less than 21 days from the giving of the notice) within which such representations may be made;
(c)of his right to be heard; and
(d)of the manner in which and the time (not being less than 21 days from the giving of the notice) within which he may apply for an opportunity to be heard.
(4) In the event of the person whose designation or appointment has been revoked or suspended making any representations (whether orally or in writing) under paragraph (3) the Agency shall reconsider whether that person is unfit to perform any of the functions of the post held by him under the Hygiene Regulations and shall, as soon as practicable, reconsider its decision to revoke or suspend the designation or appointment under paragraph (1) in the light of those representations.
(5) Where a person requests the opportunity to be heard pursuant to sub–paragraph (b) of paragraph (2) —
(a)the Agency shall nominate a person to determine the matter from the list established under paragraph (6);
(b)the person so nominated shall serve a notice on the person requesting the opportunity to be heard and the Agency informing them of the time (not being less than 21 days from the giving of the notice) of the hearing; and
(c)the person so nominated shall, within 21 days of the hearing, notify the person requesting the opportunity to be heard and the Agency of his decision.
(6) The Agency shall establish and maintain a list of people who may be nominated for the purposes of this regulation and shall consult those organisations appearing to it to represent official veterinarians, approved veterinarians and official auxiliaries before including any person on the list.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Statutory Instrument and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Statutory Instrument accessible to readers who are not legally qualified accompany any Statutory Instrument or Draft Statutory Instrument laid before Parliament from June 2004 onwards.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: