38. (1) This regulation applies to a journey made by a single carrier which meets the following conditions—
(a)the carrier collects more than one consignment of hazardous waste in the course of the journey;
(b)each consignment is collected from different premises (none of which is a ship);
(c)all the premises from which a collection is made are in England; and
(d)all consignments collected are transported by that carrier in the course of the journey to the same consignee,
and a journey which meets these conditions is referred to in these Regulations as a “multiple collection”.
(2) Where the carrier elects to apply the multiple collection procedure set out in this regulation to a multiple collection, the requirements of this regulation apply to the carrier, and to the producers, holders and consignors of the consignments collected in the course of the round.
(3) Before the first collection, the carrier shall—
(a)prepare two copies of the multiple consignment collection note, plus one copy for each hazardous waste producer or holder, as the case may be, from whom waste is to be collected during the round, and one copy for each consignor, in cases where the hazardous waste producer, or holder, as the case may be, is not the consignor; and
(b)complete Parts A and B on each copy.
(4) Before the removal of waste from each set of premises from which a collection is made—
(a)the producer, or holder, must complete the annex to the multiple collection consignment note on each copy;
(b)the consignor and carrier must sign their respective declarations to the annex to the multiple collection consignment note on each copy of the note; and
(c)the carrier must pass a completed copy to the producer or holder in each case (and where the producer or holder is not the consignor, the consignor).
(5) After collection of the last consignment but before delivery to the consignee, the carrier must complete the particulars for completion by the carrier in section C on both remaining copies of the consignment note.
(6) Subject to regulation 42, on delivery of the waste—
(a)the carrier must pass to the consignee both remaining copies of the note;
(b)the consignee must complete the particulars for completion by the consignee in Section C and complete the certificate in part D of the note on both copies; and
(c)the consignee must return one copy of the completed note to the carrier.