- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
2. (1) The Corporation shall consist of—
(a)not more than 7 members who are, or have been, engaged or employed in business, industry or any profession, or in any other field of employment relevant to the activities of the institution (to be known as “business members”);
(b)not more than 3 members (to be known as “co-opted members”) co-opted by the members of the Corporation;
(c)at least one and not more than 3 members who are members of the staff of the institution elected and nominated as specified in paragraph (4) (to be known as “staff members”);
(d)at least one and not more than 3 members who are students at the institution elected and nominated by such students or (as the Corporation may determine) elected and nominated by a recognised association representing such students (to be known as “student members”);
(e)not more than 2 members who are parents of students under the age of 19 years attending the institution, elected and nominated by other such parents or (as the Corporation may determine) elected and nominated by a recognised association representing such parents (to be known as “parent members”);
(f)at least one and not more than 3 members nominated by such local authorities as the Corporation may nominate (to be known as “local authority members”);
(g)at least one and not more than 3 members nominated by a voluntary body or bodies appearing to the other members of the Corporation to represent the interests of a section of the local community nominated by the other members of the Corporation (to be known as “community members”);
(h)the Principal of the institution (unless he chooses not to be a member);
(i)LSC members (if any).
(2) It shall be for the appointing authority as specified in clause 3 or, as the case may be, clause 5 to determine any question as to whether any person is qualified in accordance with paragraph (1) for appointment as a member of the Corporation of any description or category.
(3) For the purpose of this Instrument, a person who is not for the time being enrolled as a student at the institution shall be treated as such a student during any period when he has been granted leave of absence from the institution for the purposes of study or travel or for carrying out the duties of any office held by him in any students' union at the institution.
(4) Every staff member shall be elected and nominated by the staff of the institution, save that where paragraph (5) applies—
(a)one may be a member of the academic staff elected and nominated only by the academic staff; and
(b)the other or (as the case may be) one other may be a member of the staff other than the academic staff elected and nominated only by the staff other than the academic staff.
(5) This paragraph applies where the Corporation has determined or determine—
(a)(pursuant to clause 4) that there are to be 2 or 3 staff members; and
(b)that both or (as the case may be) 2 of those members are to be elected and nominated as specified in paragraph (4)(a) and (b).
(6) In paragraph (1)(g) “voluntary body” includes any association not conducted for profit.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Statutory Instrument and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Statutory Instrument accessible to readers who are not legally qualified accompany any Statutory Instrument or Draft Statutory Instrument laid before Parliament from June 2004 onwards.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: