- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). UK Statutory Instruments are not carried in their revised form on this site.
52.—(1) Subject to the modifications provided for in this Chapter, the provisions of the Act shall apply to adoptions within the scope of the Convention so far as the nature of the provision permits and unless the contrary intention is shown.
53. In a case falling within Chapter 1 of this Part, section 28(2) of the Act shall apply as if—
(a)at the end of paragraph (a), “or” was omitted;
(b)at the end of paragraph (b) there were inserted “or (c) a child is placed by a competent foreign authority for the purposes of an adoption under the Convention,”; and
(c)at the end of subsection (2) there were inserted “or the competent foreign authority consents to a change of surname.”.
54.—(1) In a case falling within Chapter 1 of this Part, sections 36 to 40 of the Act shall not apply.
(2) In a case falling within Chapter 2 of this Part—
(a)section 36 of the Act shall apply, as if—
(i)for the words “an adoption order” in paragraphs (a) and (c) in subsection (1) there were substituted “a Convention adoption order”; and
(ii)subsection (2) was omitted; and
(b)section 39 of the Act shall apply as if subsection (3)(a) was omitted.
55. The modifications set out in regulation 11 shall apply in the case where a couple or person habitually resident in a Convention country outside the British Islands intend to adopt a child who is habitually resident in England or Wales in accordance with the Convention.
56. Section 42 of the Act shall apply as if—
(a)subsections (1)(b) and (3) to (6) were omitted; and
(b)in subsection (2) from the word “If” to the end of paragraph (b) there were substituted “In the case of an adoption under the Convention,”.
57. Section 44 of the Act shall apply as if subsection (3) was omitted.
58. Section 49 of the Act shall apply as if—
(a)in subsection (1), the words from “but only” to the end were omitted;
(b)subsections (2) and (3) were omitted.
59. Any person who contravenes or fails to comply with—
(a)regulation 26 (requirement to notify relevant local authority);
(b)regulation 27 (withdrawal of child by local authority); and
(c)regulation 33 (refusal of court to make Convention adoption order)
is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding three months, or a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale, or both.
Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Statutory Instrument and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Statutory Instrument accessible to readers who are not legally qualified accompany any Statutory Instrument or Draft Statutory Instrument laid before Parliament from June 2004 onwards.
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: