- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
31.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2) at any time during the maintenance period relating to any of the scheduled works, DLRL may—
(a)enter upon and take temporary possession of any land within the Order limits and lying within 20 metres from any authorised work, if such possession is reasonably required for the purpose of, or in connection with, maintaining that work or any ancillary works connected with it or securing the safe operation of any such work; and
(b)construct such temporary works (including the provision of means of access) and buildings on the land as may be reasonably necessary for that purpose.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not authorise DLRL to take temporary possession of—
(a)any house or garden belonging to a house; or
(b)any building (other than a house) if it is for the time being occupied.
(3) Not less than 28 days before entering upon and taking temporary possession of land under this article DLRL shall serve notice of the intended entry on the owners and occupiers of the land.
(4) DLRL may only remain in possession of land under this article for so long as may be reasonably necessary to carry out the maintenance works for which possession of the land was taken.
(5) Before giving up possession of land of which temporary possession has been taken under this article, DLRL shall remove all temporary works and restore the land to the reasonable satisfaction of the owners of the land.
(6) DLRL shall pay compensation to the owners and occupiers of land of which temporary possession is taken under this article for any loss or damage arising from the exercise in relation to the land of the powers conferred by this article.
(7) Any dispute as to a person’s entitlement to compensation under paragraph (6), or as to the amount of the compensation, shall be determined under Part I of the 1961 Act.
(8) Without prejudice to article 53, nothing in this article shall affect any liability to pay compensation under section 10(2) of the 1965 Act or under any other enactment in respect of loss or damage arising from the execution of any works, other than loss or damage for which compensation is payable under paragraph (6).
(9) Where DLRL takes possession of land under this article, it shall not be required to acquire the land or any interest in it.
(10) Section 13 of the 1965 Act shall apply to the temporary use of land authorised under this article to the same extent as it applies to the acquisition of land authorised under this Order by virtue of article 24(1).
(11) In this article—
(a)“the maintenance period”, in relation to a scheduled work, means the period of 5 years beginning with the date on which the work is opened for public use; and
(b)any reference to land within a specified distance of a work includes, in the case of a work under the surface of the ground, a reference to land within the specified distance of the point on the surface below which the work is situated.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: