Section 30A of the 1993 Act
16. After section 30 of the 1993 Act (power of the appropriate Agency to dispose of radioactive waste) insert the following—
“Recovery and disposal of orphan sources
30A.—(1) The appropriate Agency shall be prepared or have made provision, including assignment of responsibilities, to recover any orphan source and shall have drawn up appropriate response plans and measures.
(2) The appropriate Agency shall have the power to recover any expenses reasonably incurred by it (or by a person on its behalf) in the recovery and disposal of an orphan source from the holder of that source or from the occupier or owner of the premises where the source is located.
(3) For the purposes of paragraph (2), “holder” means the person who is or is required to be registered or authorised under this Act in relation to that orphan source.
(4) If the relevant person thinks fit, the relevant person may make available to the appropriate Agency a sum or sums of money in respect of costs and expenses incurred or to be incurred by the appropriate Agency (or by a person on its behalf) in relation to the recovery and disposal of orphan sources where—
(a)the amount of such costs and expenses exceeds or is expected to exceed any reasonable provision for such costs and expenses made by the appropriate Agency, and
(b)the making available of such sum or sums is necessary to enable the recovery and disposal of any orphan source.
(5) In subsection (4), “relevant person” means—
(a)in relation to England, the Secretary of State,
(b)in relation to Wales, the National Assembly for Wales,
(c)in relation to Scotland, the Scottish Ministers, and
(d)in relation to Northern Ireland, the Department of the Environment.
(6) In the application of this section to Northern Ireland a reference to the appropriate Agency must be taken to be a reference to the chief inspector.”.