- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
1. This Order may be cited as the Midland Metro (Birmingham City Centre Extension, etc.) Order 2005 and shall come into force on 22nd July 2005.
2. (1) In this Order—
“the 1961 Act” means the Land Compensation Act 1961(1);
“the 1965 Act” means the Compulsory Purchase Act 1965(2);
“the 1984 Act” means the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984(3);
“the 1989 Act” means the Midland Metro Act 1989(4);
“the 1990 Act” means the Town and Country Planning Act 1990(5);
“the 1991 Act” means the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991(6);
“the 1993 Act” means the Railways Act 1993(7);
“authorised street tramway” means any street tramway authorised by this Order;
“authorised tramroad” means any tramroad authorised by this Order;
“authorised tramway” means the tramway (consisting of the authorised street tramways and the authorised tramroads) authorised by this Order;
“the authorised works” means the scheduled works and any other works authorised by this Order;
“the book of reference” means the book of reference certified by the Secretary of State as the book of reference for the purposes of this Order;
“bridge” includes a viaduct;
“carriageway” has the same meaning as in the Highways Act 1980(8);
“the City” means the City of Birmingham;
“the deposited sections” means the sections certified by the Secretary of State as the deposited sections for the purposes of this Order;
“the Executive” means West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive;
“highway” and “highway authority” have the same meaning as in the Highways Act 1980;
“the land plans” means the plans certified by the Secretary of State as the land plans for the purposes of this Order;
“the limits of deviation” means the limits of deviation for the scheduled works shown on the works plans;
“maintain” includes inspect, repair, adjust, alter, remove, reconstruct and replace and “maintenance” shall be construed accordingly;
“the Order limits” means any of—
the limits of deviation, or
the limits of land to be acquired or used shown on the land plans;
“owner” in relation to land, means a person, other than a mortgagee not in possession, who is for the time being entitled to dispose of the fee simple of land (whether in possession or reversion) and includes a person holding, or entitled to the rents and profits of, the land under a lease or tenancy having an unexpired term exceeding 3 years;
“the scheduled works” means the works specified in Schedule 1 to this Order or any part of them;
“street” includes part of a street;
“street authority” in relation to a street, has the same meaning as in Part III of the 1991 Act;
“street tramway” means any part of a tramway which is laid along a street—
whether or not the section of the street in which its rails are laid may be used by other traffic; or
whether the uppermost surface of the rails is level with, lower than, or raised above, the surrounding surfaces of the street;
“tramcar” means any vehicle (whether or not used for the carriage of passengers) carried on flanged wheels along the rails of a tramway;
“tramroad” means any part of a tramway which is not a street tramway;
“tramway” means a system of transport used wholly or mainly for the carriage of passengers and employing parallel rails which provide support and guidance for vehicles carried on flanged wheels;
“the tribunal” means the Lands Tribunal; and
“the works plans” means the plans certified by the Secretary of State as the works plans for the purposes of this Order.
(2) References in this Order to rights over land include references to rights to do, or to place and maintain, anything in, on or under land or in the air-space over its surface, and references to the subsoil of any land include references to any cellar, basement, vault, arch or other construction forming part of any such land.
(3) All directions, distances, areas, lengths and points stated in any description of works, powers or lands shall be construed as if the words “or thereabouts” were inserted after each such direction, distance, area, length, and point, and distances between any of the points on the authorised tramway shall be taken to be measured along the centre line of the authorised tramway.
(4) Any reference in this Order to a work identified by the number of the work (or by the number and letter) shall be construed as a reference to the work of that number (or number and letter) authorised by this Order.
(5) References in this Order to points identified by letters (or letters and numbers) shall be construed as references to the points so marked on the works plans.
3. (1) Works executed under this Order in relation to a highway which consists of or includes a carriageway shall be treated for the purposes of Part III of the 1991 Act (street works) as major highway works if—
(a)they are of a description mentioned in any of paragraphs (a), (c) to (e), (g) and (h) of section 86(3) of that Act (which defines what highway authority works are major highway works); or
(b)they are works which, had they been executed by the highway authority, might have been carried out in exercise of the powers conferred by section 64 of the Highways Act 1980(9) (dual carriageways and roundabouts) or section 184 of that Act (vehicle crossings).
(2) In Part III of the 1991 Act, references, in relation to major highway works, to the highway authority concerned shall, in relation to works which are major highway works by virtue of sub-paragraph (1), be construed as references to the Executive.
(3) The provisions of the 1991 Act mentioned in paragraph (4), and any regulations made, or code of practice issued or approved under, those provisions shall apply (with the necessary modifications) in relation to the stopping up, alteration or diversion of a street by the Executive under the powers conferred by article 13 of this Order where no street works are executed in that street as they would apply if the stopping up, alteration or diversion were occasioned by street works executed in that street by the Executive.
(4) The provisions of the 1991 Act referred to in paragraph (3) are—
section 54 (advance notice of certain works) subject to paragraph (5);
section 55 (notice of starting date of works) subject to paragraph (5);
section 59 (general duty of street authority to co-ordinate works);
section 60 (general duty of undertakers to co-operate);
section 69 (works likely to affect other apparatus in the street);
section 76 (liability for cost of temporary traffic regulation);
section 77 (liability for cost of alternative route); and
all such other provisions as apply for the purposes of the provisions mentioned above.
(5) Sections 54 and 55 of the 1991 Act as applied by paragraph (3) shall have effect as if references in section 57 to that Act to emergency works were a reference to a stopping up, alteration or diversion (as the case may be) required in a case of emergency.
4. (1) The following provisions of the Railways Clauses Consolidation Act 1845(10) shall be incorporated in this Order—
sections 68 and 69 (accommodation works by company);
section 71 (additional accommodation works by owners);
sections 72 and 73 (supplementary provisions relating to accommodation works);
section 75 (omission to fasten gates);
sections 87 and 88 (contracts with other companies);
section 97 (default in payment of tolls);
sections 103 and 104 (refusal to quit carriage at destination);
section 105 (carriage of dangerous goods on railway);
section 144 (defacing of boards);
section 145 (recovery of penalties);
section 154 (transient offenders).
(2) In those provisions as incorporated in this Order—
“the company” means the Executive;
“goods” includes any thing conveyed on the authorised tramway;
“lease” includes an agreement for a lease;
“prescribed”, in relation to any such provision, means prescribed by this Order for the purposes of that provision;
“the railway” means the authorised tramroads and (subject to paragraph (6)) the authorised street tramways, together with any authorised works ancillary thereto;
“the special Act” means this Order;
“toll” includes any rate or charge or other payment payable under this Order or any other enactment for any passenger or goods conveyed on any authorised tramway to be constructed under this Order.
(3) In section 69 of the said Act of 1845, as incorporated in this Order, for the words “determined by two justices” to the end there shall be substituted the words “referred to arbitration”.
(4) In section 71 of the said Act of 1845, as incorporated in this Order, the words “, or directed by such justices to be made by the company,” shall be omitted, and for the words “authorised by two justices” there shall be substituted the words “determined by arbitration”.
(5) Any difference arising under section 72 of the said Act of 1845, as incorporated in this Order, shall be referred to arbitration.
(6) Sections 68, 69, 71 to 73 and 75 of the said Act of 1845, as incorporated in this Order, shall only apply to the railways comprised in the authorised tramroads and any authorised works ancillary to those tramroads.
5. (1) The authorised tramway shall be treated as part of the Metro (as defined in the Midland Metro Acts) for the purposes of the following sections of the following Acts—
(a)sections 3(3), 16, 17, 25, 46 to 52 and 54 of the 1989 Act; and
(b)section 18 of the (No. 2) 1992 Act,
but it shall not be so treated for the purposes of the following—
(i)sections 5(4) and (5), 15, 24, 44 and 45 of the 1989 Act; and
(ii)section 24 of the 1992 Act.
(2) The authorised tramway shall be treated as part of the Metro (as defined in the Midland Metro Acts) for the purposes of sections 4 to 7 of the Midland Metro (Penalty Fares) Act 1991(11) and of any order made from time to time under sections 3(2) or 5(2) of that Act (whether made before or after this Order comes into force), and expressions defined in section 2 of that Act shall have effect accordingly.
(3) In the application of the Midland Metro Acts to this Order—
(a)references to the railways board in sections 16 and 17 of the 1989 Act shall be treated as references to a person holding a licence under section 8 of the 1993 Act or a person exempt, by virtue of section 7 of the 1993 Act, from the requirement to be authorised by such a licence;
(b)the reference to section 56 of the Transport Act 1962(12) in section 17(1) of the 1989 Act shall be treated as a reference to Schedule 5 to the 1993 Act, and section 17(2) of the 1989 Act shall be construed in accordance with section 49(6) of the 1993 Act;
(c)references to the railway in sections 46(1) and 48 of the 1989 Act shall be treated as including the authorised tramway;
(d)the reference in section 47 of the 1989 Act to any tramway shall be treated as reference to the authorised street tramways;
(e)the reference in section 48 of the 1989 Act to any railway of the Metro which is not designated as a tramway shall be treated as a reference to any authorised tramroad;
(f)references to railway premises in sections 49 and 52 of the 1989 Act shall be treated as including any premises of the Executive used in connection with the operation or maintenance of the authorised tramway.
(4) Section 8(4) of the 1989 Act shall have effect for the purposes of the authorised street tramways as it has effect for the purposes of the tramways authorised by that Act.
(5) In this article—
“the 1992 Act” means the Midland Metro Act 1992(15); and
“the (No. 2) 1992 Act” means the Midland Metro (No. 2) Act 1992.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: