- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). UK Statutory Instruments are not carried in their revised form on this site.
4.—(1) Works executed under this Order in relation to a highway which consists of or includes a carriageway shall be treated for the purposes of Part III of the 1991 Act (street works in England and Wales) as major transport works if—
(a)they are of a description mentioned in any of paragraphs (a), (c) to (e), (g) and (h) of section 86(3) of that Act (which defines what highway authority works are major highway works); or
(b)they are works which, had they been executed by the highway authority, might have been carried out in exercise of the powers conferred by section 64 of the Highways Act 1980(1) (dual carriageways and roundabouts) or section 184 of that Act (vehicle crossings).
(2) In Part III of the 1991 Act references, in relation to major highway works, to the highway authority concerned shall, in relation to works which are major transport works by virtue of paragraph (1), be construed as references to Merseytravel.
(3) The following provisions of the 1991 Act shall not apply in relation to any works executed under the powers of this Order—
section 56 (directions as to timing);
section 56A (power to give directions as to placing of apparatus);
section 58 (restrictions following substantial road works);
section 58A (restriction on works following substantial streetworks);
section 73A (power to require undertaker to re-surface street);
section 73B (power to specify timing etc. of re-surfacing);
section 73C (materials, workmanship and standard of re-surfacing);
section 78A (contributions to costs of re-surfacing by undertaker); and
Schedule 3A (restriction on works following substantial street works).
(4) The provisions of the 1991 Act mentioned in paragraph (5) (which, together with other provisions of that Act, apply in relation to the execution of street works) and any regulations made, or code of practice issued or approved under, those provisions shall apply (with the necessary modifications) in relation to the stopping up, alteration or diversion of a street by Merseytravel under the powers conferred by this Order whether or not the stopping up, alteration or diversion constitutes street works within the meaning of that Act.
(5) The provisions of the 1991 Act referred to in paragraph (4) are—
section 54 (advance notice of certain works);
section 55 (notice of starting date of works);
section 57 (notice of emergency works);
section 59 (general duty of street authority to co-ordinate works);
section 60 (general duty of undertakers to co-operate);
section 68 (facilities to be afforded to street authority);
section 69 (works likely to affect other apparatus in the street);
section 75 (inspection fees);
section 76 (liability for cost of temporary traffic regulation); and
section 77 (liability for cost of use of alternative route);
and all such other provisions as apply for the purposes of the provisions mentioned above.
(6) Nothing in article 14 of this Order shall—
(a)prejudice the operation of section 87 of the 1991 Act (prospectively maintainable highways); and Merseytravel shall not by reason of any duty under that article to maintain a street be taken to be the street authority in relation to that street for the purposes of Part III of that Act; or
(b)have effect in relation to street works as respects which the provisions of Part III of the 1991 Act apply.
(7) To such extent as is reasonably necessary for protecting the authorised street tramways and their operation and use Merseytravel shall have the same powers as respects reinstatement as a street authority has under section 72 of the 1991 Act.
(8) In its application to the authorised tram system section 93(3) of the 1991 Act shall also permit Merseytravel to make reasonable requirements—
(a)for allowing it facilities to monitor the execution of the works; and
(b)for the protection of the authorised tram system.
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: