Directories of subscribers
18. (1) This regulation applies in relation to a directory of subscribers, whether in printed or electronic form, which is made available to members of the public or a section of the public, including by means of a directory enquiry service.
(2) The personal data of an individual subscriber shall not be included in a directory unless that subscriber has, free of charge, been—
(a)informed by the collector of the personal data of the purposes of the directory in which his personal data are to be included, and
(b)given the opportunity to determine whether such of his personal data as are considered relevant by the producer of the directory should be included in the directory.
(3) Where personal data of an individual subscriber are to be included in a directory with facilities which enable users of that directory to obtain access to that data solely on the basis of a telephone number—
(a)the information to be provided under paragraph (2)(a) shall include information about those facilities; and
(b)for the purposes of paragraph (2)(b), the express consent of the subscriber to the inclusion of his data in a directory with such facilities must be obtained.
(4) Data relating to a corporate subscriber shall not be included in a directory where that subscriber has advised the producer of the directory that it does not want its data to be included in that directory.
(5) Where the data of an individual subscriber have been included in a directory, that subscriber shall, without charge, be able to verify, correct or withdraw those data at any time.
(6) Where a request has been made under paragraph (5) for data to be withdrawn from or corrected in a directory, that request shall be treated as having no application in relation to an edition of a directory that was produced before the producer of the directory received the request.
(7) For the purposes of paragraph (6), an edition of a directory which is revised after it was first produced shall be treated as a new edition.
(8) In this regulation, “telephone number” has the same meaning as in section 56(5) of the Communications Act 2003(1) but does not include any number which is used as an internet domain name, an internet address or an address or identifier incorporating either an internet domain name or an internet address, including an electronic mail address.