- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
Articles 3(2) and 4(1)
1. Article 4, rather than article 3, shall apply if the journey is made within a single farming enterprise in one ownership.
2.—(1) If a means of transport is used exclusively, in the course of a single day, for the transport of animals between the same two points, article 4, rather than article 3, shall apply, except before the first journey and after the last journey of the day.
(2) In this paragraph, the transport of animals takes place in the course of a single day even if—
(a)the last journey is begun but not completed before midnight on the day in question; and
(b)in the case of a hoofed animal which has been participating in an event taking place during, or continuing into, the evening of the day in question, the last journey begins as soon as practicable after the end of that event, whether or not it begins before midnight.
(3) This paragraph shall not apply to journeys between two sets of sale premises.
3. If a means of transport is used for the transport of animals from their premises of origin to a livestock show and back, and paragraph 2 does not apply, article 4, rather than article 3, shall apply to the means of transport when it is at the show premises provided that—
(a)the means of transport goes directly from the premises of origin to the show;
(b)the means of transport does not leave the show before the return journey;
(c)the only animals on the means of transport while it is at the show are animals that it transported to the show;
(d)the means of transport only transports on the return journey animals that it transported to the show; and
(e)the means of transport returns from the show directly to the premises of origin.
4. Article 4, rather than article 3, shall apply in relation to a means of transport from which animals have been unloaded solely to be fed or watered, or for some other temporary purpose, and then reloaded.
Articles 3(3), (4) and (5), 4(4), 5(4) and 9(3) and (4)
1. All cleansing and disinfection shall be carried out so as to reduce so far as reasonably practicable the risk of transmission of disease.
2.—(1) In the case of animals not transported in a container—
(a)the following shall be cleansed whether or not they are soiled: all the inside surfaces of those parts of the means of transport in which the animals are transported, all parts of the means of transport to which the animals may have had access during the journey; and
(b)the following shall be cleansed if they are soiled—
(i)any detachable fittings not used during the journey;
(ii)any other part of the means of transport; and
(2) In the case of animals transported in a container, the interior of the container shall be cleansed whether or not it is soiled, and the exterior of the container and any parts of the means of transport carrying the container shall be cleansed if they are soiled.
(3) The wheels, mudguards and wheel arches of the means of transport shall be cleansed whether or not they are soiled and whether or not the animals were transported in a container.
(4) For the purposes of article 3, every part of a means of transport required to be cleansed shall also be disinfected.
3. Cleansing shall be by removing any feedingstuffs to which animals have had access, litter, excreta and other material of animal origin, mud and other contaminants using any appropriate means, and then cleansing with water, steam or where appropriate chemicals or chemical compounds (or, if necessary, any combination of these) until free of dirt.
4. Anything to be disinfected under this Order shall be disinfected after cleansing has been completed, using a disinfectant approved under the Diseases of Animals (Approved Disinfectants) Order 1978(1) at the concentration required under that Order for “General Orders”.
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: