- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
36.—(1) The special advocate may communicate with the appellant or his representative at any time before the Secretary of State serves material on him which he objects to being disclosed to the appellant.
(2) After the Secretary of State serves material on the special advocate as mentioned in paragraph (1), the special advocate must not communicate with any person about any matter connected with the proceedings, except in accordance with paragraph (3) or a direction of the Commission pursuant to a request under paragraph (4).
(3) The special advocate may, without directions from the Commission, communicate about the proceedings with—
(b)the Secretary of State, or any person acting for him;
(c)the relevant law officer, or any person acting for him;
(d)any other person, except for the appellant or his representative, with whom it is necessary for administrative purposes for him to communicate about matters not connected with the substance of the proceedings.
(4) The special advocate may request directions from the Commission authorising him to communicate with the appellant or his representative or with any other person.
(5) Where the special advocate makes a request for directions under paragraph (4)—
(a)the Commission must notify the Secretary of State of the request; and
(b)the Secretary of State must, within a period specified by the Commission, file with the Commission and serve on the special advocate notice of any objection which he has to the proposed communication, or to the form in which it is proposed to be made.
(6) Paragraph (2) does not prohibit the appellant from communicating with the special advocate after the Secretary of State has served material on him as mentioned in paragraph (1), but—
(a)the appellant may only communicate with the special advocate through a legal representative in writing; and
(b)the special advocate must not reply to the communication other than in accordance with directions of the Commission, except that he may without such directions send a written acknowledgment of receipt to the appellant’s legal representative.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: