- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
3. (1) The classes or descriptions of local education authority expenditure specified in sub-paragraphs (a) and (b) below are hereby prescribed for the purposes of section 46(1) of the 1998 Act and the determination of a local education authority’s local schools budget subject to the exceptions in regulation 4—
(a)expenditure incurred in connection with the authority’s functions in relation to the provision of primary and secondary education; and
(b)expenditure on items listed in paragraph 27(a), (b), (d) and (r) to (t) of Schedule 1 in so far as such expenditure does not fall within sub-paragraph (a) above.
(2) For the purposes of this Part expenditure does not include expenditure defrayed by fees and charges collected by the governing body of a maintained school which are—
(a)specifically required or permitted to be collected by any provision of the Education Acts; or
(b)in respect of the use of school premises or equipment.
4. A local education authority’s local schools budget shall not include the following classes or descriptions of expenditure—
(a)expenditure in connection with nursery schools;
(b)expenditure in connection with any provision made for children who have not attained the age of five except where such provision is made at a maintained school or the expenditure is by way of fees paid under section 320 or 348 of the 1996 Act (special provision for children with special educational needs);
(c)expenditure on payments to another local education authority pursuant to section 492, 493 or 494 of the 1996 Act (recoupment between authorities);
(d)expenditure which the authority propose to capitalise in their accounts in accordance with proper practices being those accounting practices—
(i)which the authority are required to follow by virtue of any enactment, or
(ii)which, whether by reference to any generally recognised published code or otherwise, are regarded as proper accounting practices to be followed in the keeping of the accounts of local authorities, either generally or of the description concerned,
but in the event of any conflict in any respect between the practices falling within sub-paragraph (i) above and those falling within sub-paragraph (ii) above, only those falling within sub-paragraph (i) above are to be regarded as proper practices(1);
(e)expenditure expected to be offset by income received from Her Majesty’s Chief Inspector of Schools in England or Her Majesty’s Chief Inspector of Schools in Wales;
(f)expenditure for the purposes of section 26 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984(2) (arrangements for patrolling school crossings); and
(g)expenditure on the payment of allowances under section 518 of the 1996 Act to pupils over compulsory school age to the extent that it is expected to be offset by specific grant paid by the Secretary of State or the LSC.
5. A local education authority may deduct from their local schools budget any or all of the classes or descriptions of planned expenditure set out in Schedule 1, in whole or in part, in order to arrive at their individual schools budget for the financial year.
These are the proper practices as referred to in section 66(4) of the Local Government and Housing Act 1989 (c. 42) and, at the date that these Regulations are made, they include the Code of Practice on Local Authority Accounting in Great Britain 2000, as updated (ISBN 0 85299 897 X).
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: