- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
9.—(1) Direction 8(3) does not apply where a speed limit in force on the relevant road begins—
(a)at a point where the relevant road begins, being a point where it has no junction with another road; or
(b)at a point where the relevant road has a junction with another road and the same speed limit is in force on both roads.
(2) This paragraph applies where the relevant road has a junction (“the junction”) with the side of another road (“the other road”) and a maximum speed limit is in force on the other road which is different from the speed limit in force on the relevant road.
(3) Where paragraph (2) applies, it is sufficient compliance with direction 8(2), for the purpose of indicating the beginning of the speed limit on the relevant road to traffic entering it from the other road, if the sign shown in diagram 670, 674 or 675 is placed not further than 20 metres from the junction, on the left hand or near side of the carriageway of the relevant road as viewed in the direction of travel of such traffic or, where the relevant road is a dual carriageway road, on the left hand or near side of the carriageway by which traffic may pass into the relevant road from the other road.
(4) Where paragraph (2) applies, for the purpose of indicating the speed limit in force on the other road to traffic entering that road from the relevant road, the sign shown in diagram 670, 674 or 675 shall (subject to paragraph (5)) be placed not further than 20 metres from the junction and so as to be visible to such traffic, on each side of the carriageway by which traffic may pass from the relevant road into the other road.
(5) Paragraph (4) does not apply if—
(a)the maximum speed limit in force on the other road is greater than that in force on the relevant road; and
(b)signs indicating the maximum speed limit have been placed on the other road in accordance with direction 11 on each side of, and not more than 100 metres from, the junction.
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: