- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
18.—(1) A road marking shown in a diagram whose number appears and is placed in the circumstances (if any) specified in column (2) of an item in Table 1 may be placed on a road only in conjunction with a road marking or sign shown in a diagram whose number appears and is in the form, or is placed in the manner or circumstances (if any), specified in column (3) of that item.
|Item||Road marking diagram number||Road marking or sign diagram number|
|1.||1001, except when placed at a site where traffic is from time to time controlled by a constable in uniform or traffic warden||3000, 3000.1, 3000.2, 3000.7, 3000.8, 3000.9, 3000.10 or 3014|
|3.||1001.2||3000, 3000.7, 3000.8, 3000.9 or 3000.10 placed adjacent to the stop line appearing above the pedal cycle symbol in diagram 1001.2|
1001 together with—
1055.1 or 1055.2; and
4002.1, 4003.1, 4003.2, 4003.4, 4003.5 or 4003.7
|6.||1023||1003 or 1003.3|
|7.||1045||1013.1 (version A)|
|8.||1048.2 without any variation||953.1 varied to include the bus symbol shown in diagram 953 or the local bus symbol in diagram 958|
|9.||1048.2 varied to omit “& BUS”||953.1 as not varied|
|11.||1057||955, 956, 957, 959.1, 960.1, 965, 967, 1001.2 when used in conjunction with 1004 or 1004.1, 2601.2 or 2602.2|
|14.||1062 except when placed in a zone indicated by the sign shown in diagram 674||557.1, 543 and 547.8, or 544 and 547.8|
|15.||1062 except when placed at a signal-controlled crossing facility or at a “crossing” as defined by section 25(6) of the 1984 Act, or to indicate a road hump which extends across the carriageway for less than 5 metres||1004|
|16.||1062 when placed to indicate a road hump with tapered ends which does not extend across the whole width of the carriageway but ends within 300 millimetres of the kerb-line||1012.1, 1017 or 1018.1|
|17.||1064||2933 and 2934|
|18.||1065||670, when placed to indicate the point at which a speed limit begins or as a repeater sign in accordance with direction 11(2), or 674|
(2) The road marking shown in diagram 1001.2 may be placed only at a junction where traffic is regulated by light signals of the kind prescribed by regulation 33(1).
(3) A road marking shown in a diagram whose number appears in column (2) of an item in Table 2 may be placed on a road only in conjunction with the combination of road markings or signs specified in column (3) of that item.
|Item||Road marking diagram number||Diagram numbers of road markings or signs in combination|
|1.||1002.1||601.1 and 1022|
|2.||1003 when used at a level crossing||602 and 1023|
|3.||1003.3 except when placed at a roundabout with a small central island||611.1 and 1003.4|
|4.||1022||601.1 and 1002.1|
|5.||1024.1||1010 and 1014|
|6.||1048||1049 and either 959 or 960|
|7.||1048.1||1049 and 960 varied to include the pedal cycle symbol|
|8.||1049 except when varied to a width of 150 millimetres|
(a)1048 and either 959 or 960; or
(b)1048.1 and 960 varied to include the pedal cycle symbol
|9.||1049 when varied to a width of 150 millimetres|
(a)957 and 1057;
(b)959.1 and 1057; or
(c)960.1 and 1057
|10.||1049.1||957 and 1057|
|11.||1050||964 and 1049|
(4) The road marking shown in diagram 1048.3 may be placed on a road if and only if it is placed in conjunction with either—
(a)a combination of the sign shown in diagram 616 and the sign shown in diagram 954 or 954.2; or
(b)the sign shown in diagram 953 varied to show only the bus symbol.
(5) A road marking shown in diagram 1003 or 1023 when varied in size to conform with any of the smaller dimensions prescribed for it may be placed on a road only in conjunction with the marking shown in diagram 1057 and with one or more of the signs shown in diagrams 955, 956 and 957, or where a contra-flow cycle lane ends at a junction with another road.
(6) The road marking shown in diagram 1009 when varied in size to conform with the smallest dimensions prescribed for it may be placed on a road only to mark the junction of a cycle track and another road and in conjunction with the road markings shown in diagrams 1003 and 1023 and having the smaller dimensions prescribed for them.
(7) The road marking shown in diagram 1064 may be placed on the carriageway of a road if and only if—
(a)it is placed as one of a series of such markings placed 40 metres apart;
(b)the carriageway on which a marking is placed has more than one traffic lane and such a series is placed in each lane;
(c)each series includes the same number of markings; and
(d)a straight line drawn across the carriageway at right angles to the direction of travel and passing through a marking would pass through a marking on each of the other traffic lanes of the carriageway.
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: