- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
49.—(1) In this regulation “the crossing” in relation to a sign means the Toucan crossing in relation to which the sign is placed.
(2) A sign for conveying to pedestrians and pedal cyclists the warning and information specified in paragraph (4) shall—
(a)be of the size, colour and type shown in diagram 4003.5; or
(b)consist of either a single unit of the size, colour and type shown in diagram 4003.7 or of two units, one comprising the upper and the other the lower part of that unit placed close together,
and shall comply with the requirements of paragraph (3).
(3) The requirements are that the sign is so designed and constructed that—
(a)the red figures in the signs shown in diagrams 4003.5 and 4003.7 and the red cycle symbol in diagram 4003.7 (“the red signal”) can be internally illuminated by a steady light;
(b)the green figure and the green cycle symbol (“the green signal”) can be internally illuminated by a steady light;
(c)when one signal is illuminated the other is not;
(d)the green signal is illuminated only when there is at the same time conveyed to vehicular traffic, other than pedal cyclists wishing to use the crossing, a prohibition against entering the crossing and the prohibition is indicated by—
(i)the light signals prescribed by regulation 33 (whether or not varied in accordance with regulation 34) or 41; or
(ii)those light signals and the sign shown in diagram 606, 612, 613 or 616;
(e)in the case of the sign shown in diagram 4003.7, a push button or other switching device is included which, whilst the red signal is illuminated, in some way indicates to pedestrians and pedal cyclists whether it has been activated; and
(f)in the case of the sign shown in diagram 4003.5, the signal heads are ES compliant.
(4) The red signal, whilst it is illuminated, shall indicate the period during which, in the interests of safety, pedestrians and pedal cyclists should not use the crossing and the green signal, whilst it is illuminated, shall indicate the period during which pedestrians and pedal cyclists may use the crossing.
(5) Where the sign shown in diagram 4003.7 is provided at a crossing, any additional device which—
(a)is of the size, colour and type of only the part of that sign which shows the red and green signals or of only the part which includes the push button and the legend above it;
(b)complies with the requirements of paragraph (3) so far as they are relevant to it; and
(c)is provided to supplement the indications given by the sign shown in diagram 4003.7,
shall give the same indication as the relevant part of the sign shown in that diagram.
(6) A push button device giving instructions to pedestrians and pedal cyclists on how to cause the green signal in the sign shown in diagram 4003.5 to become illuminated shall be of the size, colour and type shown in diagram 4003.6.
(7) The sign shown in diagram 4003.6 shall, whilst the word “WAIT” is illuminated, convey the same indication as the red signal.
(8) Any audible or tactile signal emitted by a device provided in conjunction with the green signal for the benefit of disabled pedestrians shall convey to pedestrians the same indication as the green signal.
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: