- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
46. (1) In this regulation “matrix sign” means a sign shown in a diagram in Part I of Schedule 11 for conveying to traffic on a motorway or an all-purpose dual carriageway road information or a warning, requirement, restriction, prohibition or speed limit—
(a)relating to or arising out of temporary hazardous conditions on or near the motorway or dual carriageway road; and
(b)specified in the caption to a diagram contained in Part I of that Schedule.
(2) A matrix sign shall be a light signal and shall be of the size, colour and type prescribed by this regulation and shown in a diagram in Part I of Schedule 11.
(3) Where a matrix sign is placed beside the carriageway of a road the warning, requirement, restriction, prohibition or speed limit conveyed by the sign shall apply to all vehicular traffic facing that sign and proceeding along the carriageway beside which the sign is placed.
(4) For the purposes of this regulation a sign which is mounted on a post situated beside the carriageway but is projected over it or part of it shall be treated as a sign placed beside the carriageway of that road.
(5) Where a matrix sign mounted on a gantry or other structure is so placed that a traffic lane of the carriageway passes directly beneath it, the warning, requirement, restriction, prohibition or speed limit conveyed by the sign shall apply only to vehicular traffic facing that sign and proceeding along the traffic lane passing directly beneath it.
(6) A legend or symbol shown on a matrix sign shall be displayed by means of white or off-white light and except in the case of the signs shown in diagrams 6006.2, 6008.1, 6009.3 and 6012 shall be accompanied by the four lamps prescribed by paragraph (7).
(7) The four lamps mentioned in paragraph (6)—
(a)shall be of the size, colour and type shown in diagram 6022 when placed beside the carriageway or in diagram 6021 when mounted on a gantry or other structure over the carriageway; and
(b)when a matrix sign other than those shown in diagrams 6006.2, 6008.1, 6009.3 and 6012 is displayed, each lamp shall show an intermittent amber light at a rate of flashing of not less than 60 nor more than 90 flashes per minute and in such a manner that one horizontal pair of lights is always shown when the other horizontal pair of lights is not shown.
(8) The signs shown in diagrams 6006.2, 6008.1 and 6009.3 shall be accompanied by the four red lamps prescribed by regulation 37.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: