- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
9.—(1) A consignor shall ensure that the radioactive material is prepared for carriage in accordance with RID.
(2) A consignor shall ensure that the operator of the train which is used for the carriage of the radioactive material and the operator of any wagon, container, tank container, portable tank or tank wagon which is used for such carriage are furnished with—
(a)information and data; and
(b)the consignment notes and accompanying documents,
relating to the carriage and consignment in question, taking into account the requirements contained in RID Chapter 5.4 and the tables contained in RID Part 3.
(3) A consignor shall ensure that, in relation to the consignment in question, there are used only packagings—
(a)the design of which have been approved in accordance with these Regulations and RID; and
(b)which bear the appropriate markings in accordance with RID.
(4) A consignor shall ensure that, in relation to the consignment in question, the requirements specified in RID concerning—
(a)the means of despatch; and
(b)the restrictions on forwarding,
are complied with.
(5) A consignor shall ensure that a tank which is empty and uncleaned—
(a)shall be closed; and
(b)shall be as leakproof as it would be if the tank were full.
(6) A consignor shall ensure that—
(a)no radioactive material is handed over for carriage unless that radioactive material is authorised for such carriage in accordance with the requirements of RID;
(b)no package, nor empty packaging, which is not leakproof or otherwise damaged is handed over for carriage;
(c)when the radioactive material is loaded in a wagon or a large container, the requirements of RID relating to loading and handling are complied with;
(d)when radioactive material contained in a wagon or large container is handed over for carriage, the requirements of RID relating to—
(i)the placarding of, or
(ii)the affixing of orange plates to,
that wagon or large container are complied with;
(e)when packages are loaded, the mixed packing requirements of RID relating to the radioactive material are complied with.
(7) A consignor shall ensure that the requirements specified in RID relating to—
(a)the packing of the radioactive material; and
(b)the marking and labelling of the package in question,
are complied with.
(8) A consignor shall ensure that—
(a)prior to the filling of a tank with radioactive material, that tank and its equipment are in a condition fit for carrying the radioactive material in question;
(b)the amount of radioactive material which may be carried in the tank in question does not exceed the limits specified in RID;
(c)once a tank has been filled with the radioactive material, the closing devices on that tank are leakproof;
(d)no dangerous residues adhere to the outside of a tank after that tank has been filled with the radioactive material.
(9) Prior to handing over a package for carriage, a consignor shall ensure that the requirements specified in RID paragraph 22.214.171.124.2 relating to the permissible levels of non-fixed contamination on the external surfaces of a package are complied with.
(10) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraphs (1) to (8), a consignor shall ensure that the requirements contained in—
(a)RID Section 1.7.5;
(b)RID paragraph 126.96.36.199;
(c)RID paragraphs 188.8.131.52 to 184.108.40.206;
(d)RID Part 3;
(e)RID Section 4.1.9; and
(f)RID Chapters 5.1, 5.2 and 5.4,
so far as they relate to the radioactive material and the consignment in question, are complied with.
(11) In this regulation—
(a)“consignor” means a consignor of radioactive material; and
(b)“empty packaging” means a packaging which contained radioactive material but which—
(i)is empty, and
(ii)has not been cleaned in accordance with the requirements specified in RID since it contained radioactive material.
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: