- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
1. These Regulations may be cited as the Biodiesel and Bioblend Regulations 2002 and come into force on 26th July 2002.
2. In these Regulations—
“biodiesel duty” means the duty of excise charged on biodiesel by section 6AA(1) of the Oil Act(1);
“biodiesel record” has the meaning given in regulation 7;
“business day” means a day that is a business day within the meaning of section 92 of the Bills of Exchange Act 1882(2);
“chargeable use” means use of biodiesel—
as fuel for any engine, motor or other machinery, or
as an additive or extender in any substance so used;
“his premises” means any premises in relation to which a person is a producer, and which, if not entered by him, are required by regulation 4 to be entered;
“the Oil Act” means the Hydrocarbon Oil Duties Act 1979;
“producer” means a person who, within the meaning of section 6AA of the Oil Act—
sets aside biodiesel for a chargeable use, or
makes a chargeable use of biodiesel,
with a consequence that biodiesel duty is charged.
3.—(1) The references to hydrocarbon oil in the following provisions of the Oil Act are to be construed as including references to biodiesel—
(a)section 15(1) (drawback of duty on exportation etc.) (3);
(b)section 19(3) (fuel used in lifeboats etc.) (4);
(c)section 21(1)(a) and (2) (regulations with respect to hydrocarbon oil);
(d)paragraph 11 of Schedule 3 (subjects for regulations).
(2) The references to hydrocarbon oil in the following provisions of the Oil Act are to be construed as including references to bioblend—
(a)section 3 (hydrocarbon oil as an ingredient in imported goods);
(b)section 15(1) (drawback of duty on exportation etc.);
(c)section 19(3) (fuel used in lifeboats etc.);
(d)section 20(1)(a) and (3)(a) (contaminated oil).
(3) The reference to the duty on hydrocarbon oil in section 15(1) of the Oil Act is to be construed as including reference to the duty under—
(a)section 6AA, and
of the Oil Act.
4.—(1) Subject to the following provisions of this regulation, a producer shall—
(a)before he sends out from any premises a consignment of biodiesel in respect of which a delivery note would be required to be issued by virtue of regulation 5, or
(b)as soon as practicable after he makes a chargeable use of biodiesel at any premises with the consequence that biodiesel duty is charged,
enter those premises in accordance with section 108 of the Customs and Excise Management Act 1979(5).
(2) But paragraph (1) does not apply where the producer has already entered the premises in accordance with section 108 for the purposes of these Regulations.
(a)this regulation applies, and
(b)the time by which the producer must make entry in accordance with paragraph (1) falls before 1st August 2002,
he shall make entry on or before 15th August 2002 rather than at the time prescribed by paragraph (1).
5.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2), a producer shall, in respect of each consignment of biodiesel sent out from his premises, issue to the consignee a serially numbered delivery note containing the particulars specified in Schedule 1.
(2) Paragraph (1) only applies in the case of biodiesel that is charged with biodiesel duty because it is set aside for chargeable use when on those premises from which it is sent out.
6.—(1) Subject to paragraph (4), a producer shall, in relation to his premises, not later than the fifteenth day of the month next following the preceding month—
(a)pay the Commissioners at the specified address the amount of biodiesel duty charged in respect of all biodiesel—
(i)sent out from; and
(ii)put to a chargeable use at,
his premises in the preceding month, and
(b)furnish the Commissioners, at the specified address, a return in respect of the preceding month on the form set out in Schedule 2 to the Other Fuel Substitutes (Payment of Excise Duty etc.) Regulations 1995(6) containing full information in respect of the relevant matters and a declaration, signed by him, that the return is true and complete.
(2) In paragraph (1)(b) the “relevant matters” are all matters specified on the form, with the following modifications—
(a)in the box headed “Address of premises from which fuel substitutes sent out (if different from that shown opposite)” shall be entered the address of the premises from which biodiesel is sent out (if different from that shown opposite);
(b)no information is required to be entered in the box headed “Registration number”;
(c)no information is required to be entered in the box headed “Accounting Document Number”;
(d)no information is required to be entered in the first five rows of the table on the first page;
(e)in the last row of the table on the first page—
(i)in the column headed “Account (Tax Type)” the number “589” shall be inserted after “33”,
(ii)the word “Biodiesel” shall be inserted in the next column to the right, and
(iii)the quantity in litres and amount of biodiesel duty due shall be entered in the following two columns.
(3) In this regulation, “the specified address” means such address as is specified in directions made by the Commissioners under section 116 of the Customs and Excise Management Act 1979(7).
(4) Where the fifteenth day of the month would fall on a day that is not a business day, the obligations of paragraph (1) shall be discharged not later than the last business day before that fifteenth day.
7. A producer shall keep and preserve at his premises a record, to be known as the biodiesel record, in accordance with the provisions of, and containing the particulars specified in, Schedule 2.
8. Applications for repayment under section 17A of the Oil Act(8) (biodiesel used otherwise than as road fuel)—
(a)must be made no later than 3 months after the period to which they relate, and that period must not be shorter than 2 months nor longer than 3 years, and
(b)shall not lie where the amount to be paid is less than £50.
9. In the Other Fuel Substitutes (Payment of Excise Duty etc.) Regulations 1995—
(a)in regulation 2(b), for the words “Dorset House” to “or such other address which may be” substitute “such address as is”,
(b)in the first box on the second page of the form set out in Schedule 2, omit the address starting with the words “The Collector”, and
(c)immediately after paragraph 11 of Schedule 3, insert—
“12. The fuel substitutes record shall be kept and preserved by the producer for 6 years or such lesser period as the Commissioners may require.”.
Commissioner of Customs and Excise
New King’s Beam House 22 Upper Ground LONDON SE1 9PJ
25th July 2002
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: