- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
9. After Schedule 3 insert—
Sections 34A and 34B
1. A person who wishes to appeal to the Continuing Professional Development Committee must give them written notice of appeal within the period of 28 days beginning with the day on which he is served with notice of the registrar’s decision to erase his name from the register under section 34A of this Act or not to restore his name to the register under section 34B of this Act.
2.—(1) The Council shall make rules as to the procedure to be followed and rules of evidence to be observed in proceedings before the Continuing Professional Development Committee.
The Council shall in particular make rules—
(a)for securing that notice that the proceedings are to be brought shall be given, at such time and in such manner as may be specified in the rules, to the person to whose registration the proceedings relate;
(b)for securing that any party to the proceedings shall, if he so requires, be entitled to be heard by the Committee;
(c)for enabling any party to the proceedings to be represented by counsel or solicitor, or (if the rules so provide and the party so elects) by a person of such other description as may be specified in the rules;
(d)for requiring proceedings be held in public unless the person to whose registration the proceedings relate requests otherwise.
(2) Before making rules under this paragraph the Council shall consult such bodies of persons representing dentists as appear to the Council requisite to be consulted.
(3) Paragraphs 4 and 5(1) to (4) of Schedule 3 to this Act shall apply in relation to proceedings before the Continuing Professional Development Committee as they apply to proceedings before the Professional Conduct Committee and the Health Committee.
(4) Rules under this paragraph shall not come into force until approved by order of the Privy Council contained in a statutory instrument.
3.—(1) Where the Continuing Professional Development Committee determine under this Schedule that—
(a)a person’s name shall be erased from the register or not restored to it, the Committee shall serve on him a notice of the determination and of his right to appeal against it under section 29 of this Act;
(b)a person’s name shall remain on the register, they shall serve a notice on him accordingly,
and shall in either case notify the registrar of their determination.
(2) Where the Continuing Professional Development Committee determine that a person’s name shall be erased from the register, they shall direct the registrar accordingly.
4. Where, in the course of proceedings relating to a registered dentist before the Continuing Professional Development Committee, it appears to the Committee that—
(a)the fitness of the registered dentist to practise may be seriously impaired by reason of his physical or mental condition;
(b)he may have been convicted as mentioned in section 27(1)(a) of this Act; or
(c)he may have been guilty of serious professional misconduct,
they may refer the matter to the Preliminary Proceedings Committee or to the Health Committee, whichever is appropriate.
5. Any notice required to be served on a person under section 34A or 34B of this Act or under paragraph 3 of this Schedule may be served by being sent, by a postal service which provides for the delivery of the notice by post to that person’s address in the register, or to his last known address if that address differs from his address in the register and it appears to the registrar that such service will be more effective or if he has no address in the register.”
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: