Temporary stopping up of streets
12. (1) The undertaker may, during and for the purposes of the execution of the authorised works, temporarily stop up, alter or divert any street and may for any reasonable time—
(a)divert the traffic from the street; and
(b)subject to paragraph (3) below, prevent all persons from passing along the street.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (1) above, the undertaker may use any street stopped up under the powers of this article as a temporary working site.
(3) The undertaker shall provide at all times reasonable access for pedestrians going to or from premises abutting a street affected by the exercise of the powers conferred by this article if there would otherwise be no such access.
(4) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (1) above, the undertaker may exercise the powers of this article in relation to the streets specified in columns (1) and (2) of Schedule 4 and in columns (1) and (2) of Schedule 5 to this Order to the extent specified, by reference to the letters and numbers shown on the works plans, in column (3) of those Schedules.
(5) The undertaker shall not exercise the powers of this article—
(a)in relation to any street specified as mentioned in paragraph (4) above, without first consulting the street authority; and
(b)in relation to any other street, without the consent of the street authority, but such consent shall not be unreasonably withheld.
(6) This article is subject to paragraph 3 of Schedule 11 to this Order.