- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
18th July 2001
Laid before Parliament
19th July 2001
Coming into force
20th July 2001
At the Court at Buckingham Palace, the 18th day of July 2001
The Queen’s Most Excellent Majesty in Council
Her Majesty, in exercise of the powers conferred on Her by section 1 of the United Nations Act 1946(1), is pleased, by and with the advice of Her Privy Council, to order, and it is hereby ordered, as follows:
1.—(1) This Order may be cited as the Afghanistan (United Nations Sanctions) (Amendment) Order 2001 and shall come into force on 20th July 2001.
(2) In this Order, “the principal Order” means the Afghanistan (United Nations Sanctions) Order 2001(2).
2. The following words shall replace the text from “person connected with Usama” to “paragraph (a) above;” in Article 2(1) of the principal Order—
““person connected with the Taliban” means—
any person designated by the Sanctions Committee pursuant to paragraph 4(b) of Resolution 1267 adopted by the Security Council of the United Nations on 15th October 1999; or
any person acting on behalf of a person covered by paragraph (a) above;
“person connected with Usama bin Laden” means—
any person designated by the Sanctions Committee pursuant to paragraph 8(c) of Resolution 1333 adopted by the Security Council of the United Nations on 19th December 2000; or
any person acting on behalf of a person covered by paragraph (a) above;”
3. Article 8 of the principal Order shall be amended to read—
8. Any person who, except under the authority of a licence granted by the Treasury under this article, makes any funds available to or for the benefit of the Taliban or any person connected with the Taliban is guilty of an offence under this Order.”
4. Article 9(1) of the principal Order shall be amended to read—
9.—(1) Where the Treasury have reasonable grounds for suspecting that the person by, for or on behalf of whom any funds are held is or may be—
(a)Usama bin Laden or a person connected with Usama bin Laden, or
(b)the Taliban or a person connected with the Taliban,
the Treasury may by notice direct that those funds are not to be made available to that person, except under the authority of a licence granted by the Treasury under Article 7 or 8.”
5. The provisions of the principal Order listed in the Schedule are amended as specified in that Schedule.
A. K. Galloway
Clerk of the Privy Council
|Provision amended||Extent of Amendment|
|Article 22(1)(c)||The word “or” before “in securing compliance” shall be deleted.|
|Article 22(1)(d)(i)||The word “or” before “for an offence under any enactment” shall be deleted.|
The word “of” before—
“an offence relating to customs” in sub-paragraph (i), and
“an offence under the law of the Channel Islands” in sub-paragraph (ii),
shall be deleted.
|Article 25(3)||The word “or” shall be inserted after “to both;”.|
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order, made under the United Nations Act 1946, amends the Afghanistan (United Nations Sanctions) Order 2001 to enhance the financial sanctions regime imposed against the Taliban. It also makes minor textual amendments to that Order.
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: