- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). UK Statutory Instruments are not carried in their revised form on this site.
3.—(1) These Regulations shall have effect with a view to—
(a)protecting persons against risks to their health, whether immediate or delayed, arising from activities involving genetic modification of organisms; and
(b)protecting the environment against harm from activities involving genetic modification of micro-organisms.
(2) These Regulations (except regulation 17) shall not apply to the genetic modification of organisms solely by any of the techniques referred to in Part III of Schedule 2 nor to any organisms so modified.
(3) These Regulations shall not apply to any activity in which—
(a)genetically modified organisms are cultured, stored, transported, destroyed, disposed of or used, where such organisms are or are contained in—
(i)a product marketed in pursuance of either—
(aa)a consent granted by the Secretary of State, or, as regards Scotland, by the Scottish Ministers, under section 111(1) of the Environmental Protection Act 1990(1), or
(bb)a written consent given by the competent authority of an EEA State in accordance with Article 13(4) of Council Directive 90/220/EEC(2) on the deliberate release into the environment of genetically modified organisms,
and, in either case, that activity is conducted in accordance with any conditions or limitations attached to that consent,
(b)genetically modified organisms are released or marketed in cases or circumstances in which the consent of the Secretary of State, or, as regards Scotland, the Scottish Ministers, is required under section 111(1) of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
(4) Regulations 8 to 15, 17(2) and (3), 18 and 19 shall not apply to the transport of genetically modified organisms by road, rail, inland waterway, sea or air.
(5) Regulation 6 shall apply to the transport of genetically modified organisms by road, rail, inland waterway, sea or air, except that, in making the assessment required by regulation 6(1), the person undertaking that assessment shall not be required to include the steps set out in paragraph 3(h) to (j) of Part II of Schedule 3.
(6) These Regulations shall not extend to Northern Ireland.
(7) In this regulation, “product” means a product consisting of or containing a genetically modified organism or a combination of genetically modified organisms.
OJ No. L 124, 24.8.93, p. 1, as amended by Commission Regulation (EC) 649/98 (OJ No. L 88, 24.3.98, p. 7).
OJ No. L 43, 14.2.97, p. 1 (to be read with Corrigenda published in OJ L 173, 1.7.97, p. 12 and OJ L 187, 20.7.99, p. 74.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: