- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
6. (1) The Tribunal shall carry out their functions in such a way as to secure that information is not disclosed to an extent, or in a manner, that is contrary to the public interest or prejudicial to national security, the prevention or detection of serious crime, the economic well-being of the United Kingdom or the continued discharge of the functions of any of the intelligence services.
(2) Without prejudice to this general duty, but subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), the Tribunal may not disclose to the complainant or to any other person:
(a)the fact that the Tribunal have held, or propose to hold, an oral hearing under rule 9(4);
(b)any information or document disclosed or provided to the Tribunal in the course of that hearing, or the identity of any witness at that hearing;
(c)any information or document otherwise disclosed or provided to the Tribunal by any person pursuant to section 68(6) of the Act (or provided voluntarily by a person specified in section 68(7));
(d)any information or opinion provided to the Tribunal by a Commissioner pursuant to section 68(2) of the Act;
(e)the fact that any information, document, identity or opinion has been disclosed or provided in the circumstances mentioned in sub-paragraphs (b) to (d).
(3) The Tribunal may disclose anything described in paragraph (2) with the consent of:
(a)in the case of sub-paragraph (a), the person required to attend the hearing;
(b)in the case of sub-paragraphs (b) and (c), the witness in question or the person who disclosed or provided the information or document;
(c)in the case of sub-paragraph (d), the Commissioner in question and, to the extent that the information or opinion includes information provided to the Commissioner by another person, that other person;
(d)in the case of sub-paragraph (e), the person whose consent is required under this rule for disclosure of the information, document or opinion in question.
(4) The Tribunal may also disclose anything described in paragraph (2) as part of the information provided to the complainant under rule 13(2), subject to the restrictions contained in rule 13(4) and (5).
(5) The Tribunal may not order any person to disclose any information or document which the Tribunal themselves would be prohibited from disclosing by virtue of this rule, had the information or document been disclosed or provided to them by that person.
(6) The Tribunal may not, without the consent of the complainant, disclose to any person holding office under the Crown (except a Commissioner) or to any other person anything to which paragraph (7) applies.
(7) This paragraph applies to any information or document disclosed or provided to the Tribunal by or on behalf of the complainant, except for the statements described in rule 7(2)(a) and (b) or, as the case may be, rule 8(2)(a) and (b).
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: