- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
3rd March 1999
Laid before Parliament
10th March 1999
Coming into force
31st March 1999
The Secretary of State, in exercise of the powers conferred upon him by section 104 of and paragraph 11 of Schedule 8 to the Police Act 1996(1), hereby makes the following Order:
1. (1) This Order may be cited as the Police Act 1996 (Commencement and Transitional Provisions) Order 1999 and shall come into force on 31st March 1999.
(2) This Order extends to England and Wales only.
2. Subject to article 3 below, 1st April 1999 is hereby appointed for the purposes of–
(a)the coming into force of the provisions of the Police Act 1996 specified in section 104(2) of that Act; and
(b)paragraph 11 of Schedule 8 to the Police Act 1996 (modification of enactments pending commencement of new discipline procedures).
3. (1) Until the coming into force of regulations made under section 75(4) or, as the case may be, (5) of the Police Act 1996, each of those subsections shall have effect as if the words “, in such cases as may be prescribed by regulations made by the Secretary of State,” were omitted.
(2) Notwithstanding anything in paragraph 1 of Schedule 8 to the Police Act 1996, section 85 of that Act shall not have effect in relation to any decision taken in proceedings under regulations in force immediately before the date specified in article 2 above.
One of Her Majesty’s Principal Secretaries of State
3rd March 1999
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order appoints 1st April 1999 as the day on which all the provisions of the Police Act 1996 which are not already in force are to come into force and on which the provisions of that Act mentioned in paragraph 11(2) and (3) of Schedule 8 to that Act cease, in England and Wales, to have effect subject to the modifications set out in those sub-paragraphs. The provisions of the Police Act 1996 brought into force by this Order are:
Part IV (including Schedules 5 and 6) other than section 88,
paragraphs 43, 45 and 46 of Schedule 7,
paragraph 12 of Schedule 8, and
Part II of Schedule 9,
which relate to new discipline and complaints procedures. The commencement of these provisions is subject to the transitional provisions in article 3 of the Order.
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: