- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
30. (1) Every radiation employer shall forthwith notify the Executive in any case where a quantity of a radioactive substance which was under his control and which exceeds the quantity specified for that substance in column 4 of Schedule 8—
(a)has been released or is likely to have been released into the atmosphere as a gas, aerosol or dust; or
(b)has been spilled or otherwise released in such a manner as to give rise to significant contamination.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply where such release—
(a)was in accordance with a registration under section 10 of the Radioactive Substances Act 1993(1) or which was exempt from such registration by virtue of section 11 of that Act; or
(b)was in a manner specified in an authorisation to dispose of radioactive waste under section 13 of the said Act or which was exempt from such authorisation by virtue of section 15 of that Act.
(3) Where a radiation employer has reasonable cause to believe that a quantity of a radioactive substance which exceeds the quantity for that substance specified in column 5 of Schedule 8 and which was under his control is lost or has been stolen, the employer shall forthwith notify the Executive of that loss or theft, as the case may be.
(4) Where a radiation employer suspects or has been informed that an occurrence notifiable under paragraph (1) or (3) may have occurred, he shall make an immediate investigation and, unless that investigation shows that no such occurrence has occurred, he shall forthwith make a notification in accordance with the relevant paragraph.
(5) A radiation employer who makes any investigation in accordance with paragraph (4) shall make a report of that investigation and shall, unless the investigation showed that no such occurrence occurred, keep that report or a copy thereof for at least 50 years from the date on which it was made or, in any other case, for at least 2 years from the date on which it was made.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: