1. In relation to England, a county council, a district council, a London borough council, the Common Council of the City of London, the Council of the Isles of Scilly; in relation to Wales, a county council or a county borough council, established under section 20 of the 1972 Act(1).
2. A council constituted under section 2 of the 1994 Act.
3. In relation to England, a parish council, a common parish council, a parish meeting; in relation to Wales, a community council, a common community council.
4. Any authority established by an order under section 10 of the 1985 Act.
5. A joint board or joint body constituted by or under any enactment for the purposes of exercising the functions of two or more bodies described in any of paragraphs 1 to 4 above.
6. Any other authority or body, not specified in any of paragraphs 1 to 4 above, established by or under any enactment for the purpose of exercising the functions of, or advising, one or more of the bodies specified in paragraphs 1 to 4 above.
7. Any committee (including a joint committee) established by or under any enactment for the purpose of exercising the functions of, or advising, one or more of the bodies specified in any of paragraphs 1 to 6 above.
8. Any two or more bodies described in any of paragraphs 1 to 7 above acting jointly or as a combined authority.
9. Any association which is representative of any two or more authorities described in any of paragraphs 1 to 4 above.
10. Any committee established by one or more of the associations described in paragraph 9 above for the purpose of exercising the functions of, or advising, one or more of such associations.
11. An association which is representative of one or more of the associations described in paragraph 9 above and of another body or other bodies, and included in whose objects is the assembling and dissemination of information and advising with regard to conditions of service in local government service and generally.
12. An organisation which is representative of an association or associations described in paragraph 9 above and employees' organisations and among whose objects is the negotiation of pay and conditions of service in local government service.
13. A National Park authority established under section 63 of the Environment Act 1995(2).
14. A residuary body established by section 57(1)(b) of the 1985 Act.
15. The Residuary Body for Wales (Corff Gweddilliol Cymru).
16. The Accounts Commission for Scotland.
17. The Commission for Local Administration in England.
18. The Commission for Local Administration in Wales.
19. The Commission for Local Administration in Scotland.
20. The Local Government Management Board.
21. Employers Organisation for Local Government.
22. Improvement and Development Agency for Local Government.
1. One North East.
2. Yorkshire Forward.
3. North West Development Agency (NWDA).
4. Advantage West Midlands.
5. East Midlands Development Agency (EMDA).
6. East of England Development Agency (EEDA).
7. South East of England Development Agency (SEEDA).
8. South West of England Development Agency (SWERDA).
9. A development corporation within the meaning of the New Towns Act 1981(3).
10. An Urban Development Corporation established under section 135 of the Local Government Planning and Land Act 1980(4).
11. A housing action trust established under Part III of the Housing Act 1988(5).
12. The Broads Authority, established under the Norfolk and Suffolk Broads Act 1988(6).
13. The Commission for the New Towns.
14. The Countryside Commission for Scotland.
15. The Development Board for Rural Wales.
16. The Edinburgh New Town Conservation Committee.
17. The Housing Corporation.
18. Huddersfield Pride Limited.
19. Scottish Enterprise, established under the Enterprise and New Towns (Scotland) Act 1990(7).
20. Scottish Homes, established under the Housing (Scotland) Act 1988(8).
21. Springfield Horseshoe Housing Management Co-operative Limited.
22. Housing for Wales (Tai Cymru).
23. The Welsh Development Agency.
24. Batley Action Limited.
25. Bethnal Green City Challenge Company Limited.
26. The Blackburn City Challenge Partnership Board.
27. Bolton City Challenge Partnership Limited.
28. Bradford City Challenge Limited.
29. Brixton Challenge Company Limited.
30. Community North (Sunderland) Limited.
31. Dalston City Partnership Limited.
32. Deptford City Challenge Limited.
33. Derby Pride Limited.
34. Douglas Valley Partnership Limited.
35. Harlesden City Challenge Limited.
36. Hulme Regeneration Limited.
37. Leicester City Challenge Limited.
38. Newcastle West End Partnership Limited.
39. Newtown South Aston City Challenge Limited.
40. North Kensington City Challenge Company Limited.
41. North Tyneside City Challenge Partnership Limited.
42. Stratford Development Partnership Limited.
43. Wolverhampton City Challenge Limited.
44. The Urban Regeneration Agency established under Part III of the Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993(9).
1. The governing body of a further education establishment for the time being mainly dependent for its maintenance on assistance from local education authorities, or grants under section 485 of the Education Act or on such assistance and grants taken together.
2. The governing body of an aided school within the meaning of the Education Act.
3. The governing body of a foundation school, voluntary aided school or foundation special school within the meaning of the 1998 Act.
4. The managers of a grant-aided school as defined in section 135(1) of the 1980 Act.
5. The governing body of a central institution as defined in section 135(1) of the 1980 Act other than a college of agriculture.
6. The governing body of a College of Education as defined in section 135(1) of the 1980 Act.
7. The managers, other than a local authority, of a school which before any direction made by the Secretary of State under paragraph 2(1) of Schedule 7 to the Social Work (Scotland) Act 1968(10) was a school which immediately before the commencement of Part III of that Act was approved under section 83 of the Children and Young Persons (Scotland) Act 1937(11) if the employee was employed by those managers at the date the direction became effective.
8. A person carrying on a city technology college or a city college for the technology of the arts established under an agreement with the Secretary of State under section 482 of the Education Act.
9. A company formed to manage a college of further education by virtue of section 65(1) of the Self-Governing Schools etc. (Scotland) Act 1989(12).
10. The board of management of a self-governing school as defined in section 80(1) of the Self-Governing Schools etc. (Scotland) Act 1989.
11. A further education corporation established under section 15 or 16 of the 1992 Act or in respect of which an order has been made under section 47 of that Act.
12. The governing body of an institution which is a designated institution for the purposes of Part I of the 1992 Act or, in the case of such an institution conducted by a company, that company.
13. The board of management of a college of further education, established under Part I of the Further and Higher Education (Scotland) Act 1992(13).
14. The governing body of a designated institution within the meaning of section 44(2) of the Further and Higher Education (Scotland) Act 1992.
15. A higher education corporation established under section 121 or 122 of the 1988 Act or in respect of which an order has been made under section 122A of that Act.
16. The governing body of an institution designated under section 129 of the 1988 Act or, in the case of such an institution conducted by a company, that company.
17. An Education Action Forum established under sections 10 and 11 of the 1998 Act.
18. The governing body of a grant-maintained school.
19. The governing body of a grant-maintained special school.
20. The Central Council for Education and Training in Social Work.
21. The Centre for Information on Language Teaching and Research.
22. Cwmni Cynnal.
23. The General Teaching Council for Scotland, established under the Teaching Council (Scotland) Act 1965(14).
24. The National Institute of Adult Continuing Education (England and Wales).
25. Newbattle Abbey College.
26. The Scottish Community Education Council.
27. Scottish Consultative Council on the Curriculum.
28. The Scottish Council for Educational Technology.
29. The Scottish Council for Research in Education.
30. The Scottish Examination Board.
31. The Scottish Vocational Education Council.
1. Argyll & Bute Careers Partnership Limited.
2. Calderdale and Kirklees Careers Service Partnership Limited.
3. Cambridgeshire Careers Guidance Limited.
4. Capital Careers Limited.
5. Career Connections Limited.
6. Career Decisions Limited.
7. Career Development Edinburgh and Lothians.
8. Career Path (Northamptonshire) Limited.
9. Careerpaths (Cardiff and Vale) Limited.
10. Careers and Education Business Partnership.
11. Careers Central Limited.
12. Careers Partnership Limited.
13. Careers Service Lancashire Area West Limited.
14. Central Careers Limited.
15. Cornwall and Devon Careers Limited.
16. Derbyshire Careers Service Limited.
17. East Lancashire Careers Services Limited.
18. Education Business Partnership (Wigan) Limited.
19. Essex Careers and Business Partnership Limited.
20. Future Steps Limited.
21. Futures Careers Limited.
22. Grampian Careers.
23. Guidance Enterprises Group Limited.
24. GuideLine Career Services Limited.
25. Gwent Careers Service Partnership Limited.
26. Hereford and Worcester Careers Service Limited.
27. Hertfordshire Careers Services Limited.
28. Highland Careers Services Limited.
29. The Humberside Partnership.
30. Learning Partnership West.
31. Leeds Careers Guidance.
32. Leicestershire Careers and Guidance Services Limited.
33. Lifetime Careers Barnsley, Doncaster and Rotherham Limited.
34. Lifetime Careers Bolton, Bury and Rochdale Limited.
35. Lifetime Careers Brent and Harrow Limited.
36. Lifetime Careers Stockport and High Peak Limited.
37. Lifetime Careers Wiltshire Limited.
38. Lincolnshire Careers and Guidance Services Limited.
39. Mid Glamorgan Careers Limited.
40. Norfolk Careers Services Limited.
41. North East Wales Careers Service Company Limited.
42. Orkney Opportunities Centre.
43. Prospects Careers Services Limited.
44. Quality Careers Services Limited.
45. St Helens Careers Service Limited.
46. Sheffield Careers Guidance Services.
47. Shropshire Careers Service Limited.
48. Suffolk Careers Limited.
49. Tayside Careers Limited.
50. West Glamorgan Careers and Education Business Company Limited.
1. A Passenger Transport Executive established under section 9(1) of the Transport Act 1968(15).
2. A metropolitan county passenger transport authority established by section 28 of the 1985 Act.
3. The Forth Road Bridge Joint Board.
4. The Tay Road Bridge Joint Board.
1. A fire authority constituted by a combination scheme made under the Fire Services Act 1947(16).
2. A police authority, other than the Secretary of State, within the meaning of the Police Act 1996(17).
3. A metropolitan county fire and civil defence authority established by section 26 of the 1985 Act.
4. The London Fire and Civil Defence Authority.
1. The English Sports Council.
2. The Scottish Sports Council.
3. The Sports Council for Wales.
4. The United Kingdom Sports Council.
1. Coverage Care Limited.
2. The Humberside Independent Care Association.
3. Quantum Care Limited.
4. Sandwell Community Caring Trust Limited.
5. Waltham Forest Specialist Housing Consortium Limited.
6. The Wrekin Housing Trust Limited.
1. The Board of Governors of the Museum of London.
2. The Board of Trustees of The National Museums and Galleries on Merseyside.
3. Coventry Museum of British Road Transport.
4. The Geffrye Museum Trust.
5. The Horniman Public Museum and Public Park Trust.
6. National Coal Mining Museum for England Trust Limited.
7. The Scottish Museums Council.
1. A valuation tribunal established under the Local Government Finance Act 1988(18).
2. A new water and sewerage authority established under section 62(1) of the 1994 Act.
3. An area tourist board established by virtue of an order made under section 172, 173 or 174 of the 1994 Act.
4. A probation committee within the meaning of the Probation Service Act 1993(19).
5. A magistrates' courts committee or the Committee of Magistrates for the Inner London Area, within the meaning of the Justices of the Peace Act 1979(20).
6. The Business Shop—Angus Limited.
7. C.I.P. (Hounslow) Limited.
8. Community Initiative Partnerships.
9. Derwentside Leisure Limited.
10. The Environment Agency.
11. Greenwich Leisure Limited.
12. Hounslow Cultural and Community Services.
13. Hounslow Sports and Recreation Services.
14. The Land Authority for Wales.
15. Leisure Tynedale.
16. The Lee Valley Regional Park Authority.
17. The London Pensions Fund Authority.
18. National Mobility Services Trust Limited.
19. New Park Village TMC Limited.
20. The Scottish Children’s Reporter Administration established under section 128 of the 1994 Act.
21. The Scottish Environment Protection Agency.
22. The Scottish Water and Sewerage Customer Council.
23. The South Yorkshire Pensions Authority.
24. Strathclyde European Partnerships Limited.
25. West Lothian Leisure Limited.
Section 20 of the 1972 Act was substituted by section 1(1) of the Local Government (Wales) Act 1994 (c. 19).