- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
24. (1) Subject to paragraph (2), Schedule 8 shall have effect for the purposes of providing for the enforcement of these Regulations and for matters incidental thereto.
(2) Except in the case of pressure equipment or an assembly which, in the opinion of an enforcement authority, is liable to endanger the safety of persons and, where appropriate, domestic animals or property, where an enforcement authority has reasonable grounds for suspecting that the CE marking has been affixed to pressure equipment or an assembly and in relation to which any provision of these Regulations has not been complied with it may serve notice in writing on—
(a)the manufacturer of the pressure equipment or assembly or his authorised representative established within the Community; or
(b)in a case where neither the manufacturer of the pressure equipment or assembly nor his authorised representative established within the Community has placed the pressure equipment or assembly on the market, the person who places it on the market in the United Kingdom;
and subject to paragraph (3), no other action pursuant to Schedule 8 may be taken, and no proceedings may be brought pursuant to regulation 25, in respect of that pressure equipment or assembly until such notice has been given and the person to whom it is given has failed to comply with its requirements.
(3) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (2), for the purposes of ascertaining whether or not the CE marking has been correctly affixed, action may be taken pursuant to section 20 of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974(1) or, in Northern Ireland, pursuant to Article 22 of the Health and Safety at Work (Northern Ireland) Order 1978(2) or section 29 of the Consumer Protection Act 1987(3), as they are applied by Schedule 8.
(4) A notice which is given under paragraph (2) shall—
(a)state that the enforcement authority suspects that the CE marking has not been correctly affixed to the pressure equipment or assembly;
(b)specify the respect in which it is so suspected and give particulars thereof;
(c)require the person to whom the notice is given—
(i)to secure that any pressure equipment or assembly to which the notice relates conforms as regards the provisions concerning the correct affixation of the CE marking within such period as may be specified in the notice; or
(ii)to provide evidence within that period, to the satisfaction of the enforcement authority, that the CE marking has been correctly affixed; and
(d)warn that person that if the non-conformity continues after, or if satisfactory evidence has not been provided within, the period specified in the notice, further action may be taken under these Regulations in respect of that pressure equipment or assembly or pressure equipment or assembly of the same type placed on the market by that person.