- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
24.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2), Schedule 8 shall have effect for the purposes of providing for the enforcement of these Regulations and for matters incidental thereto.
(2) Except in the case of pressure equipment or an assembly which, in the opinion of an enforcement authority, is liable to endanger the safety of persons and, where appropriate, domestic animals or property, where an enforcement authority has reasonable grounds for suspecting that the CE marking has been affixed to pressure equipment or an assembly and in relation to which any provision of these Regulations has not been complied with it may serve notice in writing on—
(a)the manufacturer of the pressure equipment or assembly or his authorised representative established within the Community; or
(b)in a case where neither the manufacturer of the pressure equipment or assembly nor his authorised representative established within the Community has placed the pressure equipment or assembly on the market, the person who places it on the market in the United Kingdom;
and subject to paragraph (3), no other action pursuant to Schedule 8 may be taken, and no proceedings may be brought pursuant to regulation 25, in respect of that pressure equipment or assembly until such notice has been given and the person to whom it is given has failed to comply with its requirements.
(3) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (2), for the purposes of ascertaining whether or not the CE marking has been correctly affixed, action may be taken pursuant to section 20 of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974(1) or, in Northern Ireland, pursuant to Article 22 of the Health and Safety at Work (Northern Ireland) Order 1978(2) or section 29 of the Consumer Protection Act 1987(3), as they are applied by Schedule 8.
(4) A notice which is given under paragraph (2) shall—
(a)state that the enforcement authority suspects that the CE marking has not been correctly affixed to the pressure equipment or assembly;
(b)specify the respect in which it is so suspected and give particulars thereof;
(c)require the person to whom the notice is given—
(i)to secure that any pressure equipment or assembly to which the notice relates conforms as regards the provisions concerning the correct affixation of the CE marking within such period as may be specified in the notice; or
(ii)to provide evidence within that period, to the satisfaction of the enforcement authority, that the CE marking has been correctly affixed; and
(d)warn that person that if the non-conformity continues after, or if satisfactory evidence has not been provided within, the period specified in the notice, further action may be taken under these Regulations in respect of that pressure equipment or assembly or pressure equipment or assembly of the same type placed on the market by that person.
25. Any person who—
(a)contravenes or fails to comply with regulation 7(1), 8(1), 9(1) or 10,
(b)fails to supply or retain a copy of the declaration of conformity as required by regulation 7(4); or
(c)fails to comply with the requirements of regulation 7(5) or 8(5),
shall be guilty of an offence.
26.—(1) A person guilty of an offence under regulation 25(a) shall be liable on summary conviction—
(a)to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 months; or
(b)to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale,
or to both.
(2) A person guilty of an offence under regulation 25(b) or (c) shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale.
27.—(1) Subject to the following provisions of this regulation, in proceedings against any person for an offence under regulation 25 above it shall be a defence for that person to show that he took all reasonable steps and exercised all due diligence to avoid committing the offence.
(2) Where in any proceedings against any person for such an offence the defence provided by paragraph (1) involves an allegation that the commission of the offence was due—
(a)to the act or default of another; or
(b)to reliance on information given by another,
that person shall not, without the leave of the court, be entitled to rely on the defence unless, not less than seven clear days before the hearing of the proceedings (or, in Scotland, the trial diet), he has served a notice under paragraph (3) on the person bringing the proceedings.
(3) A notice under this paragraph shall give such information identifying or assisting in the identification of the person who committed the act or default or gave the information as is in the possession of the person serving the notice at the time he serves it.
(4) It is hereby declared that a person shall not be entitled to rely on the defence provided by paragraph (1) by reason of his reliance on information supplied by another, unless he shows that it was reasonable in all the circumstances for him to have relied on the information, having regard in particular—
(a)to the steps which he took, and those which might reasonably have been taken, for the purpose of verifying the information; and
(b)to whether he had any reason to disbelieve the information.
28.—(1) Where the commission by any person of an offence under regulation 25 is due to the act or default committed by some other person in the course of any business of his, the other person shall be guilty of the offence and may be proceeded against and punished by virtue of this paragraph whether or not proceedings are taken against the first-mentioned person.
(2) Where a body corporate is guilty of an offence under these Regulations (including where it is so guilty by virtue of paragraph (1)) in respect of any act or default which is shown to have been committed with the consent or connivance of, or to be attributable to any neglect on the part of, any director, manager, secretary or other similar officer of the body corporate or any person who was purporting to act in any such capacity he, as well as the body corporate, shall be guilty of that offence and shall be liable to be proceeded against and punished accordingly.
(3) Where the affairs of a body corporate are managed by its members, paragraph (2) shall apply in relation to the acts and defaults of a member in connection with his functions of management as if he were a director of the body corporate.
(4) In this regulation, references to a “body corporate” include references to a partnership in Scotland and, in relation to such partnership, any reference to a director, manager, secretary or other similar officer of a body corporate is a reference to a partner.
29.—(1) In the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998(4), at the end of column (1) of Schedule 1, there shall be added the words “The Pressure Equipment Regulations 1999” and at the end of column (2) the words “S.I. 1999/2001”.
(2) In the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1999(5), at the end of column (1) of Schedule 2, there shall be added the words “The Pressure Equipment Regulations 1999” and at the end of column (2) the words “S.I. 1999/2001”.
(3) In regulation 10(1) of the Pressure Vessels (Verification) Regulations 1988(6) there shall be inserted after the words “pressure vessel” the words “, not being one to which the Pressure Equipment Regulations 1999 apply,”.
(4) In regulation 10(1) of the Pressure Vessels (Verification) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1993(7) there shall be inserted after the words “pressure vessel” the words “, not being one to which the Pressure Equipment Regulations 1999 apply,”.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: