- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
(This note is not part of the Regulations)
1. These Regulations amend the Asbestos (Licensing) Regulations 1983 (“the 1983 Regulations”).
2. The Regulations amend the definition in the 1983 Regulations of work with asbestos insulation and asbestos coating so as to cover only the work which consists of the removal, repair or disturbance of asbestos, and work which is ancillary to or supervising such work (paragraph 1 of the Schedule).
3. The Regulations extend the 1983 Regulations so as to prohibit an employer or self-employed person carrying out work with asbestos insulating board without a licence (paragraph 2 of the Schedule), require such work to be notified to the enforcing authority (paragraph 4(b) of the Schedule), and provide for exemption from such a prohibition and requirement to be granted by the Health and Safety Executive (paragraph 5 of the Schedule).
4. The Regulations extend the circumstances in which the Health and Safety Executive may revoke a licence (paragraph 3 of the Schedule).
5. The period for notification to the enforcing authority of work with asbestos insulation, asbestos coating or asbestos insulating board is reduced from 28 to 14 days (paragraph 4(a) of the Schedule).
6. A copy of the cost benefit assessment prepared in respect of these Regulations can be obtained from the Health and Safety Executive, Economic Advisers Unit, Rose Court, 2 Southwark Bridge, London SE1 9HS. Copies have been placed in the Library of each House of Parliament.