- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
54. (1) Every steam pipe and every fitting connected thereto through which steam may pass shall be so designed and constructed as to withstand the maximum working stresses to which it may be subjected, with a factor of safety which is adequate having regard to—
(a)the material of which it is constructed; and
(b)the working conditions under which it is intended to be used.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, every such steam pipe or fitting shall, before being put into service for the first time, be subjected to a test to a hydraulic pressure to be determined having regard to the matters referred to in sub-paragraphs (1)(a) and (b) but in no case to less than twice the working pressure to which it may be subjected and shall at any time thereafter be capable of withstanding such a test.
(3) Steam pipes shall be adequately supported.
(4) Provision shall be made which will avoid excessive stress likely to lead to the failure of any such steam pipe or fitting, whether by reason of variation in temperature, vibration or otherwise.
(5) Efficient means shall be provided for draining every steam pipe so as to ensure that the interior of the pipe is kept free of water and that water hammer action will not occur under any condition likely to arise in the course of the intended service of the ship.
(6) If any steam pipe can receive steam from any source at a higher pressure than it can otherwise withstand with an adequate factor of safety, an efficient reducing valve, relief valve and pressure gauge shall be fitted to such a pipe.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: