- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
40. (1) Every ship shall be provided with an efficient pumping plant capable of pumping from and draining any watertight compartment in the ship, other than a space permanently appropriated for the carriage of fresh water, water ballast or oil and for which other efficient means of pumping or drainage is provided, under all conditions likely to arise in practice after a casualty, whether or not the ship remains upright. Wing suctions shall be provided if necessary. Efficient arrangements shall be provided whereby water in any watertight compartment may find its way to the suction pipes.
(2) Sanitary, ballast and general service pumps having a suitable capacity in accordance with paragraph 4(3) of Schedule 6 in Merchant Shipping Notice MSN 1699(M) may be accepted as independent power pumps if fitted with necessary connections to the bilge pump systems.
41. Every ship shall be provided with bilge pumps in accordance with tables set out in Schedule 6 in Merchant Shipping Notice MSN 1699(M).
42. Bilge pumps and bilge piping provided in any ship to meet the requirements of these Regulations shall as far as practicable meet the conditions and specifications set out in Schedule 6 in Merchant Shipping Notice MSN 1699(M).