- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). UK Statutory Instruments are not carried in their revised form on this site.
21st July 1998
Laid before Parliament
31st July 1998
Coming into force
21st August 1998
At the Court at Buckingham Palace, the 21st day of July 1998
The Queen’s Most Excellent Majesty in Council
Her Majesty, in exercise of the powers conferred on Her by section 2(2) of the European Communities Act 1972(1), is pleased, by and with the advice of Her Privy Council, to order, and it is hereby ordered, as follows:
1. This Order may be cited as the European Communities (Designation) (No. 2) Order 1998 and shall come into force on 21st August 1998.
2.—(1) For the purposes of section 2(2) of the European Communities Act 1972 the Ministers or government departments specified in column (1) of the Schedule to this Order are hereby designated in relation to the matters specified in column (2) of that Schedule.
(2) Where a Minister or government department is designated in relation to any item in column (2) of the said Schedule, then, for the purposes of the said section 2(2), that Minister or government department is also hereby designated in relation to anything supplemental or related to the matters specified in that item.
(3) Where both a Minister and one or more government departments are designated by this Order in relation to any matter, the designation has effect as respects the making of regulations by any of them or by more than one of them acting jointly.
(4) Regulations made by a Northern Ireland Department in pursuance of this Order shall form part of the law of Northern Ireland and not of any other part of the United Kingdom.
3. The designations in the Schedule to the European Communities (Designation) Order 1983(2) which designate the Secretary of State and any Northern Ireland Department in relation to measures relating to the prevention and limitation of the effects of accidents arising from industrial activities involving dangerous substances are hereby revoked.
N. H. Nicholls
Clerk of the Privy Council
|Ministers or Departments||Matters in relation to which Ministers or Departments are designated|
|The Secretary of State||Measures relating to the prevention and limitation of the effects of accidents involving dangerous substances|
|Any Northern Ireland Department||The preceding item in this column|
|The Secretary of State||Measures relating to postal services|
|The Secretary of State||Measures relating to fishing vessels|
(This note is not part of the Order)
This is a further Order in the series designating Ministers who, and departments which, may exercise powers to make regulations conferred by section 2(2) of the European Communities Act 1972 and specifying the matters in relation to which those powers may be exercised. It also revokes the designations in the European Communities (Designation) Order 1983 relating to the prevention and limitation of the effects of accidents arising from industrial activities involving dangerous substances.