- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
41. (1) Where halogenated hydrocarbon is used as an extinguishing medium in fixed fire-extinguishing systems its use shall be permitted only in machinery spaces, pump rooms and in cargo spaces intended solely for the carriage of vehicles which are not carrying any cargo.
(2) Where a fixed pressure water-spraying system is used for the protection of special category spaces, cargo spaces where permitted by these Regulations or ro-ro cargo spaces, special consideration shall be given to the bilge pumping and drainage arrangements where such spaces are below the bulkhead deck and to the scupper arrangements where such spaces are above the bulkhead deck.
42. (1) Where in any machinery space a fixed low-expansion foam fire-extinguishing system is fitted in addition to the requirements of these Regulations, such a system shall be capable of discharging through fixed discharge outlets in not more than 5 minutes a quantity of foam sufficient to cover to a depth of 150 mm the largest single area over which oil fuel is liable to spread. The system shall be capable of generating foam suitable for extinguishing oil fires. Means shall be provided for the effective distribution of the foam through a permanent system of piping and control valves or cocks to suitable discharge outlets, and for the foam to be effectively directed by fixed sprayers on other main fire hazards in the protected space. The expansion ratio of the foam shall not exceed 12 to 1.
(2) The means of control of any such system shall be readily accessible and simple to operate and shall be grouped together in as few locations as possible at positions not likely to be cut off by a fire in the protected space.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: