- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). UK Statutory Instruments are not carried in their revised form on this site.
1. This Order may be cited as the Extradition (Torture) Order 1997, and shall come into force on 1st September 1997.
2.—(1) Schedule 2 to this Order specifies in the first column foreign States which are Parties to the Convention and with which extradition treaties (and relevant Orders in Council under section 2 of the Extradition Act 1870) and for the time being in force, in the second column the dates of those treaties, and in the third column those Orders in Council; and
(2) Schedule 1 to the Extradition Act 1989 (1) shall apply in the case of a State specified in the first column in accordance with the extradition treaty whose date is specified in the corresponding entry in the second column, as supplemented by paragraphs 1 and 4 of Article 8 of the Convention; and the Order in Council which gives effect to that extradition treaty shall be construed accordingly.
3. The Extradition Act 1989, so far as it relates to extradition procedures under Part III of that Act, shall apply in the case of a State specified in Part I of Schedule 3 to this Order (being States in respect of which the Convention is in force but in relation to which no extradition treaties are in force) subject to the limitations, restrictions, exceptions and qualifications contained in Part II of that Schedule.
4. The Extradition (Torture) Order 1991(2) is hereby revoked.
5. This Order extends only to the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, and to those territories specified in Schedule 4 to this Order.
N. H. Nicholls
Clerk of the Privy Council