- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
1. Means of transport and receptacles shall be constructed, maintained, operated and positioned to provide adequate ventilation and air space.
2. Receptacles in which animals are transported shall be constructed and maintained so that they allow for appropriate inspection and care of the animals.
3. Receptacles in which animals are carried shall be of such a size as to protect the animals from injury or unnecessary suffering during transport.
4. Receptacles in which birds are transported shall be constructed and maintained so that they prevent any protrusion of the heads, legs or wings from them.
5. Birds shall not be carried in a sack or bag.
6. Birds shall not be lifted or carried by the head, neck, wing or tail except for—
(a)ducks, which may be lifted or carried by the neck, and
(b)geese, which may be lifted or carried by the base of both wings.
7. Birds shall not be tied by the neck, leg or wing.
8. Rabbits shall not be carried in the same undivided pen, receptacle, road vehicle or rail wagon as an animal of any other species.
9. (1) Birds shall be segregated according to species and sex, except that—
(a)female birds may be transported with their broods;
(b)male and female chicks may be transported together; and
(c)male and female birds which are familiar with one another may travel together.
(2) Chicks shall be segregated from all other poultry except their mother or other chicks.
(3) Birds shall not be transported in proximity to any animal which is likely to be hostile to them or the presence of which is likely to cause them unnecessary suffering.
10. In this Schedule “birds” means poultry and domestic birds.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: