1.—(1) These Regulations may be cited as the Driving Licences (Community Driving Licence) Regulations 1996.
(2) These Regulations shall come into force—
(i)paragraphs 2(5), 2(6), 2(8), 3(2), 17 and 35 of Schedule 1,
(ii)paragraph 2 of Schedule 3, and
(iii)so much of regulations 2 and 4 and the remainder of Schedules 1 and 3 as is necessary for to confer on the Secretary of State extended or modified powers to make such orders or regulations as are necessary for the purpose of complying with Council Directive 91/439/ EEC(1) and for ancillary purposes,
on the day after the day on which these Regulations are made;
(b)except as provided in sub-paragraph (a) above, on 1st January 1997.
2. The Road Traffic Act 1988(2) shall have effect with the amendments set out in Schedule 1 to these Regulations.
3. The Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988(3) shall have effect with the amendments set out in Schedule 2 to these Regulations.
4. The Transport Act 1985(4) shall have effect with the amendments set out in Schedule 3 to these Regulations.
5. The enactments mentioned in Schedule 4 to these Regulations shall have effect with the amendments set out in that Schedule (being minor amendments consequential upon those set out in Schedules 1 and 2 to these Regulations).
6. The Motor Vehicles (International Circulation) Order 1975(5) shall have effect with the amendments set out in Schedule 5 to these Regulations.
Signed by authority of the Secretary of State for Transport
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State,
Department of Transport
22nd July 1996