- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
52. (1) Compensation shall be payable to the Port Authority in respect of any authorised works in, under or over land below the mean high water mark and any rights acquired in connection therewith as if the Borough had been required to obtain a licence for those authorised works under section 66 (licensing of works) of the Act of 1968 and to pay consideration therefor determined in accordance with the provisions of section 67 (consideration for licence) of the Act of 1968 and the Port Authority may recover from the Borough the costs incurred by them in connection with the determination of such compensation.
(2) If it is agreed between the Borough and the Port Authority after taking into account any relevant data or circumstances, or in default of agreement it is determined in pursuance of a reference by the Port Authority under article 80, that—
(a)any part of the river has silted up or has been subjected to scouring;
(b)such silting up or scouring is silting up or scouring to which the provisions of this paragraph apply;
(c)for the safety of navigation or in the interests of persons using the river or for the protection of works in the river, such silting up or scouring should be removed or, as the case may be, made good; and
(d)any other necessary consents have been obtained,
the Borough shall pay to the Port Authority (in the manner set out in paragraph (5)), any additional expense to which the Port Authority may reasonably be put in dredging the river to remove the silting up or in making good the scouring, in so far as it is attributable to a tidal work.
(3) The provisions of paragraph (2) apply in relation to any silting up or scouring which is wholly or partly attributable to a tidal work during the period of the execution of those works and thereafter for a period of 10 years from the relevant date and shall then cease to apply in relation to any silting up or scouring which is wholly or partly attributable to the tidal work in question.
(4) In paragraph (3) “the relevant date” means, in relation to the scheduled works and any other tidal work executed in connection therewith or incidental thereto, the date on which it is certified by the Engineer of the Borough that the works are substantially complete and the barrage gates are capable of being closed.
(5) The Borough shall, if so required by the Port Authority, make payments to the Port Authority on account of any sum required to be paid in pursuance of paragraph (2), being payments of such amounts and made at such times as may be agreed between the Borough and the Port Authority or in default of agreement as may be determined by an arbitrator to be reasonable for meeting so much of the cost to the Port Authority in dredging the river or causing the river to be dredged, or in making good or in causing to be made good scouring to which the river has been subjected.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.