- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
8. For article 9 of the City of Bristol (Electoral Arrangements) Order 1980(1) there shall be substituted:
“9. (1) The whole number of councillors shall be elected at the ordinary elections of councillors in 1995.
(2) The councillors holding office for any ward of the city immediately before 8th May 1995 shall retire on that date and the newly elected councillors for any such ward shall come into office on that date.
(3) The order of retirement of the councillors elected in 1995 shall be as set out in the Table in Schedule 2 to this Order, except that in the first column, “1997” shall be substituted for “1984”, in the second column, “1998” shall be substituted for “1986” and in the third column “1999” shall be substituted for “1987”.
(4) Of the councillors elected in 1995 for any ward of the city, the first to retire in that ward shall be, subject to paragraphs (5) and (6) below, the councillor elected by the smaller number of votes.
(5) In the case of an equality of votes between any persons elected which makes it uncertain which of them is to retire in any such year, the person to retire in that year shall be determined by lot.
(6) If an election of councillors for any ward is not contested, the person to retire in each such year shall be determined by lot.
(7) Where under this Article any question is to be determined by lot, the lot shall be drawn at the next practicable meeting of the council after the question has arisen, and the drawing shall be conducted under the direction of the person presiding at the meeting.
(8) The term of office of councillors elected in 1997 shall be three years.
(9) Except as otherwise provided in the foregoing paragraphs of this Article the term of office of councillors shall be four years, and all councillors shall retire on the fourth day after the ordinary day of election of councillors for the city in the year of retirement and the newly elected councillors shall come into office on the day on which their predecessors retire.”
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: