- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). UK Statutory Instruments are not carried in their revised form on this site.
4.—(1) Subject to paragraphs (2) to (8) and article 5 below, the provisions of the 1994 Act which are listed in the Schedule to this Order shall come into force for all purposes (or, as the case may be, all remaining purposes) on 1st April 1995.
(2) Section 4C of the 1964 Act, as inserted by section 4 of the 1994 Act, shall not apply in respect of the financial year ending on 31st March 1994.
(3) Any person who on 1st April 1995 would hold the rank of deputy chief constable in a police force maintained under section 2 of the 1964 Act (as substituted by section 2 of the 1994 Act) but for the commencement by this Order of the provisions of the 1994 Act abolishing that rank shall hold the rank of assistant chief constable in that force.
(4) For the purposes of any financial year ending before 1st April 1995, section 8 of the 1964 Act shall continue to have effect in the form in which it has effect immediately before the commencement by this article of section 8 of the 1994 Act.
(5) The provision inserted by section 21 of the 1994 Act shall not apply to a report received by the Secretary of State under section 38(2) of the 1964 Act before 1st April 1995.
(6) For the purposes of the issue of a basic credit approval under section 53 of the Local Government and Housing Act 1989(1) to a new police authority in respect of the financial year beginning on 1st April 1995, section 30 of the 1994 Act (which amends the definition of “local authority” for purposes including that of the said section 53) shall come into force on 15th March 1995.
(7) Without prejudice to the generality of articles 7 and 8 below, any duty on an old police authority in relation to any person exercising functions of a public nature (such as the Audit Commission under Part I of the Local Government Act 1992(2)) which has not been discharged on 31st March 1995 shall, so far as is practicable, be discharged by the new police authority.
(8) For the purposes of a direction under section 1 of the Local Government Act 1992, paragraph 25 of Schedule 4 to the 1994 Act (which amends section 12 of the Local Government Finance Act 1982(3) and thereby brings the new police authorities within section 1(7)(a) of the Local Government Act 1992) shall come into force on 15th January 1995 and (notwithstanding section 2(4) of the Local Government Act 1992) any such direction may be given to a new police authority in respect of the financial year beginning on 1st April 1995 not later than 31st January 1995.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.