- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
1. (1) This Order may be cited as the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (Designated Countries and Territories) (Amendment) Order 1993 and shall come into force on the tenth day after the day on which it is made.
(2) This Order extends to England and Wales only.
(3) In this Order “the Act” means the Criminal Justice Act 1988 and “the principal Order” means the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (Designated Countries and Territories) Order 1991(1).
2. There shall be inserted in Schedule 1 to the principal Order, at the appropriate places in alphabetical order, the entries for those countries specified in the Schedule to this Order.
3. In the Appendix set out at the end of paragraph 21(f) of Schedule 2 to the principal Order (institution of proceedings) there shall be inserted before the entry for Italy the following entry—
(a)when information relating to commission of any crime is received by any law enforcement agency empowered to investigate such crime under the law for the time being in force and laid before a court of law;
(b)when any allegation is made orally or in writing to a court of law that a person has committed an offence;
(c)when a person is charged with an offence;
(d)when any investigation or inquiry into the commission of any offence is directed by a court of law.”,
and the like amendment shall be made to the Appendix to section 102 of the Act as set out in Schedule 3 to the principal Order.
4. (1) In the modification of section 102(11) of the Act (which defines when proceedings in a designated country are instituted) which is specified in paragraph 21(d) of Schedule 2 to the principal Order, there shall be inserted after paragraph (a) of the said section 102(11) the following paragraph—
“(aa)where no steps have been specified in relation thereto as mentioned in paragraph (a) above, when the defendant has been notified in writing in accordance with the laws of the designated country that the competent authorities of that country have begun proceedings against him in respect of an offence; or”;
and the like amendment shall be made to section 102(11) of the Act as set out in Schedule 3 to the principal Order.
(2) In article 5(1) of the principal Order (evidence in relation to proceedings and orders in a designated country) there shall be inserted after sub-paragraph (a) the following sub-paragraph—
“(aa)in a case to which paragraph (aa) of section 102(11) of the Act, as modified by Schedule 2 to this Order, applies, that the defendant has been notified as specified in that paragraph;”.
N. H. Nicholls
Clerk of the Privy Council
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: