- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
18. (1) An officer seizing any construction products or records under regulation 17 shall inform the following persons that the products or records have been so seized, that is to say–
(a)the person from whom they are seized; and
(b)in the case of imported products seized on any premises under the control of the Commissioners of Customs and Excise, the importer of those products (within the meaning of the Customs and Excise Management Act 1979(1).
(2) If a justice of the peace–
(a)is satisfied by any written information on oath that there are reasonable grounds for believing either–
(i)that any construction products or records which any officer has power to inspect under regulation 17 are on any premises and that their inspection is likely to disclose evidence that there has been a contravention of any provision of Part II; or
(ii)that such a contravention has taken place, is taking place or is about to take place on any premises; and
(b)is also satisfied by any such information either–
(i)that admission to the premises has been or is likely to be refused and that notice of intention to apply for a warrant under this paragraph has been given to the occupier; or
(ii)that an application for admission, or the giving of such a notice, would defeat the object of the entry or that the premises are unoccupied or that the occupier is temporarily absent and it might defeat the object of entry to await his return,
the justice may by warrant under his hand, which shall continue in force for a period of one month, authorise any officer of an enforcement authority to enter the premises, if need be by force.
(3) An officer entering any premises by virtue of regulation 17 or a warrant under paragraph (2) above may take with him such other persons and such equipment as may appear to him necessary.
(4) On leaving any premises which a person is authorised to enter by a warrant under paragraph (2) above, that person shall, if the premises are unoccupied or the occupier is temporarily absent, leave the premises as effectively secured against unauthorised entry as he found them.
(5) If any person who is not an officer of an enforcement authority purports to act as such under regulation 17 of this regulation he shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale.
(6) Where any construction products seized by an officer under regulation 17 are submitted to a test, the officer shall inform the persons mentioned in paragraph (1) above of the result of the test and, if–
(a)proceedings are brought for an offence in relation to the products under any provision of Part II or for the forfeiture of the products under regulation 12 or 13, or a suspension notice is served in respect of the products; and
(b)the officer is requested to do so and it is practicable to comply with the request,
the officer shall allow any person who is a party to the proceedings or, as the case may be, has an interest in the products to which the notice relates to have the products tested.
(7) In the application of this regulation to Scotland, the reference in paragraph (2) above to a justice of the peace shall include a reference to a sheriff and the references to written information on oath shall be construed as references to evidence on oath.
(8) In the application of this regulation to Northern Ireland, the references in paragraph (2) above to any information on oath shall be construed as references to any complaint on oath.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: