Capital receipts to be treated as reduced: disposal of recently acquired interest
15. (1) Capital receipts of a description specified in paragraph (2) below shall be treated for the purposes only of section 59 as reduced by an amount determined in accordance with paragraphs (4) to (6) below.
(2) For the purposes of paragraph (1) above, capital receipts derived from a disposal of an interest in land, other than capital receipts of a description specified in regulation 16(2), are specified where–
(a)the disposal takes place either not later than two years after the date on which the local authority disposing of the interest acquired an interest in the land or, if the authority entered into a contract for the disposal within that period, not later than three years after that interest was acquired;
(b)the acquired interest referred to in sub-paragraph (a) above was either the freehold or a lease which was acquired on or after 1st January 1989;
(c)if the acquired interest was the freehold, the disposal is of that freehold or is of a lease to which paragraph (3) below applies and which at the time of the disposal is for a term of which 125 years or more are unexpired; and
(d)if the acquired interest was a lease, the disposal is of–
(ii)the acquired interest; or
(iii)a lease to which paragraph (3) below applies and which at the time of the disposal is for an unexpired term of 125 years or more or for an unexpired term greater than the unexpired term of the acquired interest.
(3) This paragraph applies to any lease where, at the time of the disposal of the lease, the local authority estimate that not less than 90 per cent. of the capital value of the lease has been or is to be received by the authority within one year of the date of the disposal.
(4) For the purposes of paragraph (1) above, the amount of the reduction is the aggregate of–
(a)if the local authority entered into a credit arrangement for the purpose only of acquiring the interest referred to in paragraph (2)(a) above, the initial cost of the credit arrangement;
(b)the amount of any consideration given by the authority in respect of the acquisition of that interest other than any consideration taken into account by virtue of sub-paragraph (a) above; and
(c)the amount of any costs incurred by the authority in connection with that acquisition or the disposal, other than the amount of any costs taken into account by virtue of sub-paragraph (a) above.
(5) Where an authority dispose successively of two or more interests in the relevant land, the amount of the reduction under this regulation may be applied as respects the receipts derived from any of those disposals.
(a)before the time any receipt is received, an amount falls to be set aside by the authority under section 61(4) or paragraph 7(2) of Schedule 3 to the Act in respect of any disposal of any interest in the relevant land; and
(b)in accordance with regulation 20(7), the amount of the notional capital receipt is treated as reduced by an amount determined by reference to this regulation;
there shall be deducted from the amount which, apart from this paragraph, would be the amount of the reduction determined in accordance with this regulation, the amount by which the notional capital receipt is so treated as reduced.